NZ wreck ( a must dive)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lermontov

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I thought id tease you all with my favourite and local wreck the Mikhail Lermontov. its situated ion Port Gore In NZ and sank 30 years ago -its not a purpose sunk wreck dive so there lots of areas that require caution due to the dangling wires curtains carpets etc. It is fantastic wreck dive though lies on its side in 36m of water.
She's nearly 20000 tonnes 175m long and 23m wide. it was refitted as a cruise liner and carried a max of 1334 passengers.. It sank with only one loss of life many of ther easier to get to areas have been pillaged but there still lots of treasure bottles of vodka, plates cups etc hidden in the silt in the no light areas.

if anyones interested i can post the deck plans or if you ever plan to visit NZ Im happy to help you get a dive done
Michail_Lermontow_1984-2.jpg

Tease is right.....no pics from dive?

"Descending" did an episode of this dive. Looked very cool.

That's a cruel thing to do to a bunch of divers, say how awesome a wreck is but don't post any pics...

i haven't got any pics but I've got a Facebook page (peter taw)with couple vids or you can google lermontov dives theres quite a few on u tube .
just as an aside john chatterton dived it a while back and rated it one of the best dives he's done a sister ship to andrea doria but in only 36m and pretty much still intact

theres a decent vid called 'deans dinner run' which is a traverse of the most popular areas
heres photo that might make you jealous- photo.php

second vid is taken with a 360º camera

Last edited:
I just realized that a 360 degree video is jiberish without 360 degree vision and a brain that is able to process it.

Its a great dive, although the vis can be very bad sometimes due to the location. Its a wreck I want to dive again soon

Would this be an appropriate dive for a beginner? I have ~ 17 dives and AOW, but haven't been that deep. Hoping that the top of the ship is closer to 25-30m.

Would this be an appropriate dive for a beginner? I have ~ 17 dives and AOW, but haven't been that deep. Hoping that the top of the ship is closer to 25-30m.
I discovered this on my AOW course so yes - theres still lot to see on the outside if you look up Godive Marlborough theres a LDS that runs trips out there

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom