o ring help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clownfish00

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am getting back to diving after being out of the water for 6 years. Please can you tell me if I should change the o ring on my camera housing. It was only about 2 year old when I stopped diving but hasn't been used at all for the last 6 years so no idea if it would now be safe to use.

If I need a new one, where in the UK could I buy one for a Canon WP-DC27?

If it has been left in the case with the case sealed, I would definitely change it. Its shape may have changed in a way that makes it less responsive to outside water pressure on the exposed edge of the seal.
I remove my oring during the months between trips so it stays round.

Probably good to replace it but it is probably fine. Everyone always worries about the door o ring but no one ever mentions the control gland o rings. Those are sitting in the same compressed state since the housing was manufactured. Just some food for thought.

If it has been left in the case with the case sealed, I would definitely change it. Its shape may have changed in a way that makes it less responsive to outside water pressure on the exposed edge of the seal.
I remove my oring during the months between trips so it stays round.

Thanks for the advice. It has been closed but not sealed it has had padding between the seal edges as I was told never to leave it sealed.

Probably good to replace it but it is probably fine. Everyone always worries about the door o ring but no one ever mentions the control gland o rings. Those are sitting in the same compressed state since the housing was manufactured. Just some food for thought.

Oh boy, I have no idea what the other seals you mention are or where to find them. Hope these don't need changing to. I have asked around local dive shops and no one stocks the o rings although they did say that they could change them if I could source the o ring. I have just emailed Cameras Underwater in London to see if they can help.

Those control orings are behind every knob and button on the case. Lots of them! It's why the mfrs recommend you send their cases back for service every couple of years. Sure wish they were as easy to replace as the door seal.
Good luck! I bought two cameras when I bought my case. Hasn't happened yet, but I just know I'm going to flood it one day, and by then, they won't make my camera any more, lol!

Those control orings are behind every knob and button on the case. Lots of them! It's why the mfrs recommend you send their cases back for service every couple of years. Sure wish they were as easy to replace as the door seal.
Good luck! I bought two cameras when I bought my case. Hasn't happened yet, but I just know I'm going to flood it one day, and by then, they won't make my camera any more, lol!

Sorry for all the questions - should I be thinking of having the whole housing serviced then and if so who would I ask to do this. I am in the UK.

If it's an actual O-ring with an "O" cross-section I examine them under magnification to see if they crack when stretched, or even worse, if cracks are visible without stretching or magnification. If it's still good I use it. Like others have said, I too don't ever store my housings with the lid latched to avoid deformation.

Sorry for all the questions - should I be thinking of having the whole housing serviced then and if so who would I ask to do this. I am in the UK.
Maybe just do a dive with some paper towel in the housing first to see if any water leaks in. Or use something like this 2-1/2 gal. Air Pressure Paint Tank to simulate a dive. I'm sure it will be fine though. My old housing was six years old with all the origonal o rings and never leaked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom