O-Ring lube

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Julian55

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone know of a lube that can be used on all O-Rings? Seems a bit fussy to have to buy 2-3 different kinds of lube for different components, Ikelite, S&S etc

Tribolube 71 lubricant or so they say....

Tribolube 71 lubricant is not water soluble and is inert
Excellent choice for rebreather divers
Use in your valves, manifolds and regulator parts
Use on your spg and/or your gauge connections!
Using Tribolube 71 you don't have to worry about did you use the proper lubricant or not
This is a 2 oz syringe
Great for either working at home or storing in a dive kit
Tribolube 71 is O2 safe and are compatible with all o-rings and materials used in the scuba industry
Tribolube 71 is specifically designed for Nitrox open and closed circuit diving systems and is LOX/GOX compatible.

If you never have to worry about high pressure oxygen, then just use any silicone lube. I have never found anything special about the stuff sold by the camera, housing or strobe companies. It's all just a lubricant, Just don't use it for HP oxygen applications. Tribolube and other O2 lubes would work in all situations, but is orders of magnitude more expensive.

If you never have to worry about high pressure oxygen, then just use any silicone lube. I have never found anything special about the stuff sold by the camera, housing or strobe companies. It's all just a lubricant, Just don't use it for HP oxygen applications. Tribolube and other O2 lubes would work in all situations, but is orders of magnitude more expensive.
some lubes WILL melt some orings. so using just any old lube may be a very bad idea if you have the wrong mix of lube and oring material.

so the only correct generic answer is to use a lube that will not react with any oring material.

tribolube 71 is one of them. in this case, use of tribolube 71 has nothing to do with its O2 properties.

try a few google searches and you should be able to find some explanations of lube - oring compatibility issues.

I LOVE crysto-lube. It is very expensive but absolutely WORTH IT!!

Amazon.com : Christo-Lube 2 OZ Scuba Diving Nitrox Lube for Regulator and Octos : Diving Regulator Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

31wtEFYrR4L.jpg

My local air tech uses it and buys it by the tub. I pay to fill up a small container. It goes a long way as you use so little.

I will never use anything else, if I can avoid it.

Some housings, especially the little OEM bubble housings have silicone O-rings. I am pretty sure many of the aluminum and Ikelite types have neoprene O-rings. Do not use a silicone based grease on a silicone O-ring, it will swell. I would not use anything that is not specific to neoprene or silicone, which ever type your camera/strobe have. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom