O-rings kit? Which o-rings to carry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hroark2112

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm thinking I need to start carrying a kit of o-rings with me regularly. What I'm looking for is the most common o-rings needed for in the field repairs. I'm not looking to rebuild regs on a dive boat, but I do feel I should have the most common ones handy.

Anyone have a good list by number/size that would make a good kit of viton o-rings?

Nice...tanks!!

003 and 010! And whatever fits your regulator depends on din or yoke. McMaster Carr buy 100 and you should be set for a while, plenty left over to give out to friends depending on how much you dive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Slight post hijack.... but as we are on the subject, I have just started using a 'Din' regulator where the 'O' ring is very different from the 'Yoke'.

My question being, do you insert the 'O' ring into the tank and then the regulator or do you fit the 'O' ring onto the regulator and insert both into the tank?. I have done the latter but am concerned about it fitting/sealing correctly.

Thanks

Slight post hijack.... but as we are on the subject, I have just started using a 'Din' regulator where the 'O' ring is very different from the 'Yoke'.

My question being, do you insert the 'O' ring into the tank and then the regulator or do you fit the 'O' ring onto the regulator and insert both into the tank?. I have done the latter but am concerned about it fitting/sealing correctly.

Thanks

Thee O ring goes into the regulator then the whole assembly goes into the valve. Make sure you are using the right O ring as the incorrect one may keep falling out when you remove the regulator from the valve. Under normal circumstances the O rings sty in the regulator no problem.

I use Polypropylene and have found that although the original ones stay in fine, sometimes the replacements do have a tendency to fall out and I am not sure why yet.

O Ring NumberDescription
003HP Hose SPG swivel
006BC Power Inflator
007Oceanic Pro Plus 2 quick disconnect small O ring
009Oceanic Pro Plus 2 quick disconnect internal seal
010LP Hose/2nd Stage regulator to hose seal
DIN Valve stem
011Standard LP Port/Hose, Manifold port plugs
012HP Port/Hose, manifold port plugs, Oceanic quick disconnect end seal, Petrel battery seal
013Large LP port/Hose plugs (3/8 UNF)
014Small Yoke Reg/K valve (Joe)
015Cylinder valve bonnet nut
111Small DIN reg/valve
112Standard K/DIN reg/valve (5/8 BSP)

When ordering by number rather than description, don't fat-finger the number--some differ by only one digit--or you'll end up with a dozen of something you have no use for, as I did. Doh!

I use Polypropylene and have found that although the original ones stay in fine, sometimes the replacements do have a tendency to fall out and I am not sure why yet.

I have never heard of polypropylene O-rings, either they are Buna (nitrile), Viton (FKM), EPDM, or Polyurethane. If they are polyurethane it could be that they are old and lost their elasticity. I believe the shelf-life of polyurethane O-rings is less than 5 years. Of course I am assuming you are using the correct size and durometer for the application.

A few years back, some regulator manufacturers started using PU O-rings because of their superior abrasion resistance. I believe they no longer use them because of the short self-life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom