O2 Cell Replacement Time....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darylm74

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I need to replace my 3 cells in my JJ. I know that the original ones are Vandegraph and replacement costs are $97 a piece. I can get Analytical Industries version for $79 a piece. Anyone have any experience with the AI branded ones? I know $60 difference is not a huge difference but I could almost buy a spare for that savings.

what makes you say you have to replace them all? You should try to avoid replacing all of them at once if you can help it.
I have the AI sensors in my Meg, work fine. Have one Vandegraph in there which is a bit faster in response, but died before the other two AI's in there.

Much better if you spread the price out over many months. Buy them one at a time. That way you get different ages and different batches. Your "spare" is the one you just took out that is still behaving good.

Needing 3 at once hopefully is you are brining one back that has been in storage for a long time. Starting the cell rotation schedule is the most painful. Cells that are not that old being replaced. But once you get the rotation going it works better. Maybe start with a mix of AI and Vandagraph? I have one AI in the mix right now, only a few months old, just watching the display I can't tell you which one it is.

I don't find the price difference too bad. $89 for the Vandagraphs for my revo. Always shopping around for who has the best deal. Don't know if the JJ runs the same specs as the revo.

Funny. My instructor said that thw rotating cells isnt really necessary and is more of a myth than anything else. Seems most of the people he dives with feel the same.

Funny. My instructor said that thw rotating cells isnt really necessary and is more of a myth than anything else. Seems most of the people he dives with feel the same.

As long as there are no bad batches you’re fine. If you get a bad batch it could be deadly. It’s barely a hardship for a huge potential benefit..

As long as there are no bad batches you’re fine. If you get a bad batch it could be deadly. It’s barely a hardship for a huge potential benefit..

I think their concensus is the “bad batches” is a hold over from the past and not really a reality. I would be interested to here a recent (last 3 years ) story of a bad batch affecting all of someones cells. I dont doubt its possible but wonder how real it really is.

I think their concensus is the “bad batches” is a hold over from the past and not really a reality. I would be interested to here a recent (last 3 years ) story of a bad batch affecting all of someones cells. I dont doubt its possible but wonder how real it really is.

for me it is less a bad batch risk as it is the cells all being the same age and exposed to the same environment. Theoretically they will all start to fail at the same time, so I would rather have them staggered on those grounds.

That’s the problem though, it’s not like there’s a cycle of “bad batch timelines” that you can get on. The whole idea of a bad batch is that it’s random and unpredictable. We’re they more common in the past? I’m not sure that’s the case. Is QC better now? Maybe. But people still get E. Coli.

Tom brings up another good point re:cell age and failure. It’s certainly another consideration.

My instructor told me that the stock JJ Vandegraph were more reliable than the AI sensors. I guess I forgot his advice the first time I changed the sensors and bought AI. Can't remember the exact issues, but I remember them being much less stable and slower to react than the Vandegraphs. Bought Vandegraphs again, all went back to normal.

Just one anecdote, take it for whatever it's worth.

Back
Top Bottom