O2 Cleaning = VIP Test?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't really have a problem with putting the label on if that helps my shop guy feel better. I just do not see that it makes any logical sense whatsoever.

-I get a tank o2 cleaned, and then fill it with oil, still o2 cleaned as it has a sticker on it...

-I o2 clean a tank myself every month, it is not o2 cleaned for a shop to go by...

-I get the nitrox only sticker, then am I not allowed to put air into the tank? Remember this sticker says "Nitrox Only".

-I get air, and do not take the sticker off, what if someone grabs my tank, thinking it is his nitrox tank, gets DCI thinking he was on mix?

-I get a pair of alum80 doubles, put trimix in them, everyone melts down?

Tommy

1) that doesn't make sense... but I have seen it myself... a shop monkey remove the nitrox sticker and leave the O2 service stricker on because he was filling the tank with *regular* air... true the guy I sold the tank to wasn't nitrox certified but that wasn't the issue... if anything it was the O2 sticker that should have come off.

2) why are you O2 cleaning your tank every month???

3) get a sticker that says *Nitrox* or take a felt pen to the *only* part.

4) a tank with a nitrox sticker means *this tank may contain something other than air... the content label will tell you the % and if someone grabs your tank without checking that label then they weren't paying attention during their nitrox class and are creating the problem for themselves... but if someone grabs your AL80 that has no label and looks just like their air tank and takes it below MOD what then?

5) common Tommy.... you aren't diving trimix anyway... so what is this *everyone melts down* bit...

6) what are you doing switching back and forth between air and nitrox anyway... and *pumping oil* into your tank... what's up with that? Oh, that answers #2

7) like I said... the stickers won't be the problem with your AL80s in the DIRF...

I don't clean the tank every month, myself, not at all. If I need it o2 serviced I will take it to the shop. I stated that to make the point that if someone o2 services the tank themselves, and it does not have the sticker, it would not, in the shop's eyes, be o2 serviced.

As far as the sticker saying "Nitrox Only" that is my point. It does not say "may have nitrox" "should have", it says "nitrox only". It says nothing about o2 service. In fact the place that wanted me to put it on is a premix shop where I got air fills the week before.

I switch back and forth because I dive at a local quarry where we don't really go below 40' that much. I am also starting NC wreck diving where 100' is the average.

Tommy

TommyBoy, not to sound harsh, but you just don't get it, do you?

Do you READ what it says on the stickers? What percentage of O2 is supposed to be in the tank? :bonk:

Furthermore, do you even test the O2 levels in your tanks when you get them filled at the shop? :whack:

Guess I'm with you, Uncle Pug. :pity:

~SubMariner~

Is not the definition of Nitrox, any gas containing nitrogen and oxygen?

I guess I just don't get it, I will make sure that all mixes I put in there have nitrogen and oxygen, like, um, air?

So I digress, that nitrox only sticker could mean just about anything...

Tommy

And of course I check the gas before taking the tank out of the shop. And I of course am all for having a sticker with the percentage of o2,etc. in the tank.

Just that generic "nitrox only" that means everything from 1%o2/99%nitrogen to 99% o2, a bit vague for my taste.

Tommy

Just get a few green and yellow sickers that say "Geezer Gas" for about a $ each. They are about twice the size of your vis sticker, and confuses EVERYBODY!

To those worried about someone getting one of my tanks on the boat by mistake, ALL tanks I put on the boat will be good for the maximum depth _POSSIBLE_ on the planned dives in the area. The undertrained creetin who pinches one of my second or third tanks will be safe, until he gets back on the boat! At that point his ass is MINE to shred for the rest of the trip! A Deco or oxtox hit would be a LITTLE problem in comparison.

FT

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that "Geezer Gas" was an option as opposed to the "Nitrox Only" sticker. Am I the only one who thinks that is just dumb?

What exact o2 % does geezer gas entail? Is there an age gradient to the m value or some such nonsense?

Would not just putting my name on the tank be a better way to alleviate people grabbing my tank?

Tommy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom