O2 cleaning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, we don’t deal with Scubapro, so I couldn’t speak to that. I can tell you that my atomic works just fine as an o2 reg.

Yeah, we don’t deal with Scubapro, so I couldn’t speak to that. I can tell you that my atomic works just fine as an o2 reg.
Mine too, although I do limit my higher percentages to the Monel regs...

View attachment 471122

The Mk25 O2 ready version is called a Mk25EVO, and contains different repair parts.
That is incorrect, Frank. EVO has absolutely nothing to do with its state of O2 cleanliness, it simply stands for evolution and it is the only available model currently being produced.
The evolution of the MK25 reflects improvement of its cold water tolerance.
Some parts of the EVO version are not interchangeable with its predecessors, but the service kit remains the same for all versions, including the MK20s. There are 3 kits in total, the one you attached, the regular one and the O2 conversion/upgrade kit.

Thanks all. I'm sure it will be more than 40%. I suspect 50% or maybe 80%. I would feel more comfortable just getting everything cleaned. It would suck if that means having to do another annual service on the reg that I just had serviced, but oh well! :(

Go back to the dive shop that serviced the reg and just plain ask them. "Did you leave combustible grease in my reg?" If they did get your money back. If you have got the reg dirty through using contaminated air since the service go back to the dive shop where you buy your air and get your money back.

If the "technician" at the service centre starts talking about "special" O rings for nitrox go somewhere they are not lying to you to take your money for no good reason.

If you think your gear is contaminated for some reason get it cleaned by someone that knows what they are doing, or learn to clean it yourself. There are plenty of good books on the subject and plenty of courses available.

Thanks all. I'm sure it will be more than 40%. I suspect 50% or maybe 80%. I would feel more comfortable just getting everything cleaned. It would suck if that means having to do another annual service on the reg that I just had serviced, but oh well! :(

Don't disagree with the above comments, but have you considerred just buying a dedicated o2 deco reg? There are a few good options that are only a little > $200.

Just one example..
O2 Deco Regulator

Consider the cost of re-rebuilding that sp reg will just be money "out the window". And the cost of your training, this might just be some well priced peace of mind.

I've heard anecdotes of regs catching fire on the surface.
Jeez guys just clean your stuff and use o2 grease.
Now you can not just hear, but see it:
Oxygen fire. Please read
CCR16_zps1deb7d9e.jpg

CCR9_zpsf47f35a1.jpg

and some more, from our country:
86ff8d2198bac2c45e3f787ce1ad9d93.jpg

cdbc8d303544e80ddfd83e20a3456aed.jpg

Here was attached UNcleaned regulator to the oxygen tank (it is not from diving, but oxygen also was here)
BTW: tank valve and regulator connector was made from brass!

but have you considerred just buying a dedicated o2 deco reg?

That did cross my mind. :) Because I only have one AL40 and would still like to keep an air pony, so I would have to get another small bottle and reg for that anyway.

That did cross my mind. :) Because I only have one AL40 and would still like to keep an air pony, so I would have to get another small bottle and reg for that anyway.

I think you need to sort out what gas you are going to use. A pony is useful for solo diving and shallow low vis dives where buddy separation is highly likely. As you will be moving to doubles you have the correct equipment for deeper diving redundancy.

EAN50 is good for up to 21m deep and if you really need to breathe something, anything, (as opposed to water) you can go a bit more than that. As you are heading up as soon as you are on a bailout the PPO2 is getting less very quickly as you ascend.

So if you run 50 as your deco gas you can simply take that (full of 50) tank and reg with you on shallow dives where you need a bailout.

I agree that pure O2 for 6m deco is best served with it's own dedicated regulator and tank which is useless for any other purpose. That is better if you do lots of accelerated deco diving. Personally I use 50 which can also be a bailout when the alternative is water :) Not sure I would fancy bailout to 100% O2 at 30m (although it still gives better odds than trying to breathe water) For a 10-15m solo dive the deco tank is ideal and (assuming you don't need it) goes back into the gear cave ready to be used for deco another day.

Before you make a significant investment in new gear...

Are you committed to deco diving or is this course more exploratory for you? The answer to this might determine how much money you want to spend on gear for the course vs making do/borrowing/renting gear.

I would use your new doubles instead of a pony and dedicate the al40 as a 50% deco bottle (o2 cleaned)
If for some reason you are doing the course in an H valve...
I would get a set of proper doubles and still keep the al40 as a deco bottle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom