O2 cleaning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For 50% and higher, clean the tank, valve, and 1st stage. Crystal simple green, a sonic cleaner, hot water, brash brush, and O2 safe lube. Good to go, easy, you can buy a book online (oxygen hacker's guide).

If you O2 clean a reg to be used at 100%, and you use it at 50% a few times, can you go back to using it at 100% again with out cleaning again? What if you use it for 32%

If you O2 clean a reg to be used at 100%, and you use it at 50% a few times, can you go back to using it at 100% again with out cleaning again? What if you use it for 32%
Depends on if the gas was made by membrane or pp blending. Membrane gas isn’t always oxygen compatible, but pp blending is almost always done using OCA.

That’s why O2 cleaning is for any mixture over 40%. Membranes can’t make over 40%.

Everyone has answered everything and have a blast learning AN/DP, it opens up a new world.

I have a personal rule of thumb I share with my students. My 100% tanks are always 100% along with regs and perm stickers. Well so are my 50% and have a few whatever the dive needs tanks. My whatever tanks/regs get the highest scrutiny because they have the most exposure to contaminates.

It's not about the%O2, it's about the cleanliness of the gas used. If Grade E gas is used, it doesn't matter if it's 50%, 32%, 100%, or 21% ... the gear remains O2 clean. But many places that bank 32% or just provided 21% may not be providing it as Grade E cleanliness. If non-Grade E is put through the tank then have the tank and valve O2 cleaned prior to getting partial pressure blended nitrox or 100% O2. If non-Grade E is put through the regs, then have it O2 cleaned prior to putting >40% nitrox through it.

It's not about the%O2, it's about the cleanliness of the as used. If Grade E gas is used, it doesn't matter if it's 50%, 32%, 100%, or 21% ... the gear remains O2 clean. But many places that bank 32% or just provided 21% may not be providing it as Grade E cleanliness. If non-Grade E is put through the tank then have the tank and valve O2 cleaned prior to getting partial pressure blended nitrox or 100% O2. If non-Grade E is put through the regs, then have it O2 cleaned prior to putting >40% nitrox through it.

Grade E is not oxygen clean air(oca). If you have an o2 cleaned reg or tank and you put grade E in, it isn't necessarily oxygen clean( though many grade e gases don't have hydrocarbons). Your tank, valve, or reg is only guaranteed to remain oxygen clean of oca is being pumped.
Your comments are not correct.

Grade E is not oxygen clean air(oca). If you have an o2 cleaned reg or tank and you put grade E in, it isn't necessarily oxygen clean( though many grade e gases don't have hydrocarbons). Your tank, valve, or reg is only guaranteed to remain oxygen clean of oca is being pumped.
Your comments are not correct.
I think he meant Hyperfiltered or Modified Grade E.

Grade E is a garbage standard. I can get that with my bicycle pump.

Now then-Most compressors can reach the "OCA" standard with normal filtering. I have 2 compressors (Bauer 9cfm-ish) that always meet the OCA standard without extra filters. Those that say that Hyperfiltering is necessary to reach "OCA" is just hypermarketing.

I think he meant Hyperfiltered or Modified Grade E.

He may have meant it, but definitely not what was said in his post. Especially for something like this, misinformation (which is what that is) could be dangerous. As nad said most compressors that are only tested for grade e could easily be pumping oca, but it can't be assumed.

He may have meant it, but definitely not what was said in his post. Especially for something like this, misinformation (which is what that is) could be dangerous. As nad said most compressors that are only tested for grade e could easily be pumping oca, but it can't be assumed.
No arguement. But better to correct misinformation rather than just point it out.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom