Ocean City, MD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johnoly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Man accidentally shoots self in head with spear gun in Ocean City

OCEAN CITY, Md. —

Coast Guard officials in Ocean City are investigating a spear gun accident Sunday afternoon.

Authorities said a man accidentally shot himself in the head with a spear gun.

The accident happened about 35 miles off the coast of Ocean City. Coast Guard boats and a helicopter responded to the scene.

The victim was taken to Shock Trauma, officials said. There is no word on his condition.

I'm imagining one of those images where the gun owner is looking down the barrel to see if it's loaded...

Is it wrong that the first image that popped into my head was that of Steve Martin?

I saw a guy shoot himself in the abdomen trying to change a spearhead on a loaded pneumatic gun. He laid the gun on a bench, grabbed the head with one pair of pliers, the shaft with another, and twisted. Rotated the shaft out of the lock. Missed most of his vital stuff but he went to the hospital with a shaft sticking through him.

I hope I don't know this person. I know of a few people from my local LDS that were going down there to dive. They werer going to do a wreck dive and distance off shore sounds about right i think...

Does not say if it happened in or out of the water.

Back
Top Bottom