Ocean Hunter I Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shmuggy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Got back a week or so ago from this liveaboard which I would recommend. The diving, as expected, was great. We went to all the signature dive sites: Blue Corner, Ulong Channel, two wrecks, etc and with only 6 divers onboard had the dive sites pretty much to ourselves. There was one occasion when we pulled up to a dive site and there were a lot of day boats-so we went elsewhere and went back later and it was much quieter. The Captain, Troy, also is a DM, and was exceptionally good in both roles. Richard, the other DM, is relatively new in this role and a bit of a nanny DM but I must admit that I appreciated seeing the Crocodile Fish he pointed out. They ran the dive deck well and were very helpful when I had a problem with my gear. About half the diving was done from the big boat and the rest from the tender.

The food was great and abundant. Roy is excellent and worked well with my seafood allergy. (Although the fish he served was- according to reports- exceptionally well prepared and fresh). I don't know how he produced these great meals out of that little galley but he did so with good humor and efficiency at all times. All meals were served at the table, family style with Roy frequently checking to see who needed seconds, etc.

The accomodations are cramped but the boat is as advertised. The salon is not suitable to hang out in for a long time but you can tell that from the deck plans. If I were to go back to Palau I would make sure to book the Master Cabin. We had a problem with our AC but stuff like that can happen- it was confined to our cabin. It happened on Saturday night and they had someone out by boat on Monday which must have cost a small fortune.

So I would do this one again. We booked through Reef Rainforest and Mike did a good job too. I am booking my next trip through them. Mike gave me several options for pre-LOB rooms and one was the Carolines Resort which we loved. You cannot beat breakfast delivered to your private balcony overlooking Palau after a long arduous trip! The staff is wonderful and friendly and they include passes to Palau Pacific Resorts beach with the price.

Thanks for the report, we are a long ways a way from an advanced far away trip - but i enjoyed the trip report very much - any chance you got some pics?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom