Oceanic Atom 2.0 - Reviews?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

troyce1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just received a Atom 2.0 dive computer as a gift, and I've never used a dive computer.

Im extremely pumped to have such a nice piece of equipment, however, I'm worried its a little too complicated for me at this point.

Can anyone provide any insight/input on this computer? Or if there is something that is comparable provide their input on that?

Thanks.

Well, it is an Oceanic computer and I don't know if it is still being done but Oceanic was offering an online training course free with the computer. DiveNav would know if it is still a free course. DiveNav is a member of Scubaboard and will likely help you if you need help figuring out how to take the class. You could PM him. You could look here

Dive Computer Training

if you have the code. Even if it isn't free the cost is reasonable and will tell you how to use your computer and how the display will look while you are using it. I did it for one of my computers and it was very informative. Good luck and have fun with your new computer.

I don't think they made a course for the Atom 2.0, and of course now the 3.0 is out.

Richard.

Does anyone who has it, or has had it have any input about their overall satisfaction?

Thanks
-Terry

The Atom 2.0 is a very easy computer to learn how to use. I have one and have been using it for about four years. If you are diving air then it's almost as simple as hit the water and it will give you depth and time. If you are diving Nitrox then you enter in your percentage for the mix you have, hop in, and it gives you depth and time correct for the mix you are using.
You don't mention if you also got the transmitter. If you did, then attach it to your first stage an now you get depth, time and your remaining air pressure. If you do have the transmitter, in my opinion, don't bother with the buddy pressure check. It's more trouble than it's worth.
I have over-simplified how an Atom works, obviously. There are many settings that can be changed by the user: alarms, preferences etc. The manual is a great place to start. Once you have reviewed it plan a dive or two based on tables (you did say this is your first computer). Dive according to your tables and when back on land read your computer and see how it stacks up to your table calculations. The Atom also logs your dives and your surface intervals so filling out your log book gets easier, especially if you are on a crowded dive boat in three to four foot seas!!

Enjoy the computer. It can grow with you as your diving skills advance. Three gas mixes, multiple transmitters=more possibilities!!

Happy diving!!

@Hank - Thanks for the input.

I read some reviews on LeisurePro, and many people said it was a complicated device.

I do not own my own Reg, but am looking for one, as it would seem to be a pain to connect and disconnect the transmitter constantly.

Thanks
-Terry

Glad to help troyce. Attaching and removing a transmitter from a reg first stage si not difficult. An allen key to remove the port plug and regular wrench to attach the transmitter is all that is needed. One caveat, you would need a low profile wrench to attach the transmitter- there's not much clearance there.

@Hank, I figured it wouldn't be the hardest thing. But would assume it would be best to purchase a reg and have it permanently attached to the first stage.

And currently am just diving on air.

Thanks again for your input on ease of use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom