oceanic atom watch/pdc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've only got five dives on mine, but I liked it very much. It is my first wrist computer and my first air integrated computer. I love the air integration. I didn't see any changes in the Atom 2.0 to make it worth waiting for the new one, especially if you can get the old one for a markdown.

Any specific questions?

Since then, it seems to have developed some electrical "issues" resulting in an intermittent low battery warning. Oceanic is swapping it for a new one with no hassle.

David

Any specific questions?

1st: warrr eagle!!!!!!!!! and how did a plainsman in up in cali(i live about 35 mins AU)?
2nd:i did buy the atom but have not dove w/ it yet.hopefully i will get to the 25th.i got it from a lds and it was greatly reduced(from what i have seen).i was just wondering how well they worked,a heads up on any potentional bugs(i seen complaints on the battery life), and any helpful hints on using it(just now reading manual)
3rd:where did you find your warranty card.I have searched through box and contents.trying to register just in case of any potential problems

and once again, warrrrrrr eagle!

I think that I registered online. It might have been an option when I loaded the software.

I liked diving it a lot. Did you also buy the wireless transmitter? For most diving, I do not use a SPG, so my reg 1st stage now only has two hoses. One to my primary and one to my safe second/inflator. I'm looking forward to taking it out on April 8, my next day of diving.

I ended up in California by taking a job near San Diego. I would never have thought to move to the land of nuts and fruitcakes, except that I my wife's father hooked me up with somebody at a company out here and I ended up getting a great job, with a very short commute (10 minutes), in a nice middle-sized family orriented town. I came straight from grad school almost ten years ago. It turns out that SoCal is fairly conservative and friendly. The nuts and fruits must be up north near San Francisco. I never moved back to the south like I intended. I don't miss the mosquitoes, cockroaches, or humidity. I do miss Auburn Football, open roads with no traffic, green plants, and thunderstorms. I don't think I'll ever move back though. There is too much to do near my house. I've got great snow skiing (5 hours away), the ocean (1 hour away), the desert (2 hours away), and some big metropolitan areas with lots to do, such as San Diego (45 minutes), LA (2 hours), Anaheim and Long Beach (1-1.5 hours).

David

Auburn University Classes of '92 and '97
War Eagle!

yes i bought the transmitter also!i was advised that I may need to keep a small air gauge tucked out of the way in case i ever had a transmitter problem.
sounds like you are pretty well located.I spent a week in LA and you can have that,but reluctantly went back to cali and spent a week in San Diego and loved it! it was differant to get use to temps and not having the humidity.It was great,the beaches,sceneary(big navy ships incl.)and most of all, the niceness of the people.Alot more laid back than my first trip to LA.
I see you got photo gear,was this your 1st set up or have you advanced up? that is my next mission after my latest classes.to start I just want something that will take pictures up to 78 ft-100 ft and still have nice color.Living in Columbus Ga, most of my diving is in the gulf coast.Dont go to enough places to warrant upper level of photo equipment.
By the way,have you enjoyed our last 2 seasons?looking forward to another...WARRR EAGLE!!!!!!!

I live in Auburn. WARRRR EAGLE, HEY!

I still own my spg, but I'm going to buy a smaller gauge that I can attach as needed. On most days, I wouldn't use it. I would probably only use it if I was wreck or cave diving (I'm certified for neither at this time). I figure that if I lose my air pressure transmission, I'll just end the dive at that point. I'm also packing extra batteries for the computer and the transmitter in my save-a-dive kit.

My first photo gear was a Sea & Sea MX-10 film camera with the YS-40 strobe. I used it for a few trips in the first year. My Olympus C-5060WZ (now discontinued) is my first digital camera. I initially bought the Olympus housing but switched to the Ikelite housing so that I could connect my Ike strobes directly through the housing and use the TTL feature. TTL is a very useful thing. I now have an Ikelite DS-125 for my main strobe and I just bought a smaller Ikelite DS-50 as a back up and for fill lighting when I want to use two strobes. I might also dive with the DS-50 sometimes when I want a smaller kit. All and all, I've probably spent about $2200 on gear. You can spend less, but I think your probably in for $750-1000 minimum. Make sure you buy with an eye on future upgradeability. My strobes will work with any future ike housing and camera combination. If I was buying just a camera and housing for now, I would buy an Ikelite housing the first time, so that I could later add a strobe and use TTL.

Football has been good lately. There is a good club in San Diego and our attendance has been building. I'm looking forward to the next season and maybe coming back to Auburn for a game.

War Eagle!

David

War Eagle to Bennedc if you're still reading the thread!

Beboandles:
has anyone used one and what is your opion on it?

I have one and love it.
Here are the PROS and CONS as I see them

PROS
1-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Reads up to three transmitters and up to 100% O2
2-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Very compact. Can be worn as a watch. I put it on when I leave for a dive trip and take it off when I get home.
3-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]User changeable battery. That’s a good thing but most have that now.
4-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Many wonderful features for such a small DC at that price point.
5-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Never had any problems receiving a tank signal
6-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Seems very durable and easy to use.

CONS
1-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]No way to make the watch go into power saving mode so they eat a battery every 9 months to a year and need a new o-ring when you replace the battery.
2-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]you have to push a button to check pressure (Not that big a deal to me)
3-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]To check pressure on the surface you have to put it in surface mode and hold the button down for three seconds and do a battery check. Unless someone knows of an easier way that’s all I gathered from the manual.

New version coming out with Check your buddy’s pressure and supposedly longer battery life. I think it’s called the ATOM II. I need more features than that to cause me to upgrade.

AERIS has the sister DC with a few more good features. I hear AERIS is going to release their watch/DC and then the Oceanic Atom II will be its sibling.

If size doesn’t matter and you want a single transmitter only with 50% )2 max then I recommend the VT-Pro. I have one of them as well and it’s a really good DC with integrated wireless.

Be forewarned, all the Oceanic and AERIS software is pitiful. I would love to have the Job of rewriting their pathetic software packages. You want to get a copy of Scubase and use that after you download your dives and backup (If the software allows you to) often.

I think the PROS far outweigh the CONS but I wanted to make sure you got the whole picture.

Scooter

The new computer is the Atom 2.0. I was talking to an Oceanic tech guy the other day. It seems that the two biggest features are having the tank pressure on the main display and the "buddy" check. I think that they had to move the "dive time remaining" to a secondary screen to move the tank pressure to the main display. I am happy with the 1.0's display. I think that I am more routinely interested in dive time remaining (which is the least of air remaining, ndc time remaining, and oxygen loading for nitrox) rather than air pressure, which is only one button away.

The buddy check looks to be a useless feature. First, your buddy needs a transmitter. That's a lot of money. Second, you'll have to be hugging your buddy to get his transmitter within range of your receiver/computer. Whenever people talk about wireless pressure readings, there is conversation about the range of the transmitters and dropped signals. How often is your buddy close enough that you can read his pressure, especially if he is a "same ocean" buddy or (even worse) a photographer :14: . You can do the same thing right now (in a more complicated manner) if you give your buddy a transmitter and call him a secondary gas source (just don't let your computer think that you are breathing off of his tank).

My advice is to find a 1.0 at a discount when the 2.0s come out.

David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom