'Oceanic' Computer to fit my current console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vagabonding

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I have a US Divers gauge and I'm looking to find out if one of the Oceanic computers will fit into my current console. I've attached a picture of the console I have. I've gone to two local dive shops to see if either the Oceanic Versa Pro (pried out of the wrist strap) or the Oceanic Veo 250 .

They've given me two different answers. Does anyone know for certain if what I'm trying to do will work?

I know I can get a whole new gauge, but as this is a Christmas present to myself I'd like to try and get it to work with my current setup.

I don't know if they will fit in the US divers guages (how thick is it?) but they will fit in the Genesis or Sherwood consoles.
If you can measure the console and guage or better yet, bring the console to your lds to see if it'll fit.

The Versa Pro is actually designed to fit into consoles, so one would assume that it is designed to fit all standard sized consoles....BUT by the shear design (having a button on the side) this might prove to be a bit more difficult. But where there is a will there is a way and a little "modification" to your current console might suffice to house the Versa Pro and allow for the side button to be used.

The Veo 250 is a similar issue, since it also has two buttons with one on the side, but I do not see any options for a simple module, only as a part of it's own console.

Actually, the versa will not fit, but there are several you could drop right in there, like a veo 180, or you could do several others that would drop in. And if you wanted to do something like a versa, you could just buy a console with the computer you want, and transfer your pressure gauge and hose... So you have multiple options available.

I'm not sure there's an easy answer at all, short of digging your depth gauge out and checking out what the console's "socket" is shaped like vs. what a potential new computer is shaped like underneath -- even if the computer is the same nominal "hockey puck" diameter and thickness as your depth gauge.

Like, the Aeris Atmos 1 computer, though supposedly a "standard hockey puck," has two sets of lugs on the underside; they're like the lugs on your watch into which the pins go to hold it onto your watchband -- and they're meant to do the same thing if needed. I suspect other Aeris models are similar.

Trouble is, there has to be clearance for those lugs in the console socket -- or for that matter in a generic wrist boot. If the clearance isn't there, you'd have to do some careful modification of the lugs (as in cut them off with a hacksaw). Ask me how I know. :D

On the other hand, the Oceanic Veo 100 -- another "standard hockey puck" -- doesn't have those lugs.

Other than that, you may need to cut a small hole in the side of the console so that water can get to the activation contact easily. And maybe add some kind of spacer so the computer doesn't rattle around in the console, like I had to do with my Oceanic.

All of this is do-able; just needs a little bit of DIY.

Oh, if you're tempted just to buy a new empty console for $25 or so, again make sure it's designed for a computer or you'll have the same problems. Aeris makes two versions of their boot, that look identical on the outside; but one is designed for a computer (has clearance for the lugs), the other for a depth gauge (no lug clearance -- hacksaw time).

--Marek

Back
Top Bottom