Oceanic Geo2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RTC'83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Can someone please explain to me what the O2 Sat number mean. I do understand the PPO2 setting, but the O2sat number what does it mean and what levels should I be concern with?
Thanks,

That is a simple question with a very complex answer. Aviyes is right in that the computer is using this to track your oxygen exposure. Short answer is that unless you are diving nitrox it is not an issue and even then unless you are diving near high limits of mod and/or multiple dives a day its not going to be a problem.

If you are interested there are several good articles including this one by Doppler...

Daily Limits for CNS Oxygen Toxicity

And this one in Alert Diver...

Alert Diver | Understanding Oxygen Toxicity

There are two forms of oxygen toxicity that concern divers, CNS and pulmonary. CNS toxicity is the deadlier form and the one most applicable to recreational nitrox divers. This is the oxygen toxicity you may see or hear called oxtox and can lead to convulsions (and death) underwater. This form of toxicity is tracked by time exposure at specific mods for single and 24 hour limits. It is expressed as a percentage. 80% is widely acceptable as the maximal safe limit. This is the oxygen tracked by the above referenced NOAA table.

The other oxygen toxicity monitored by divers is the pulmonary or whole body exposure and this is measured in OTU's or Oxygen Toxicity Units and 300 is considered the daily limit. This form of oxygen toxicity takes long exposure times and is not a concern for recreational divers even on nitrox.

Hi @RTC'83

I dived an Oceanic Geo2 as a backup to my VT3 for 5 years before switching to a Dive Rite Nitek Q. There are a few other things regarding O2 monitoring you may want to know, though they may not apply to your diving style.

Oceanic computers, perhaps all Pelagic Pressure Systems computers, track O2 exposure with a 24 hour rolling window that corresponds to the daily NOAA exposure limits. You do not get credit for O2 elimination until 24 hours after the end of your dive. Many computers use an alternative O2 exposure algorithm that gives surface credit for O2 elimination with a 90 minute half life. So, with an Oceanic computer, you may have 5 dives in the 24 hour window if you dive 4 dives per day. You may ask, what does that matter? Well, in SE FL banked nitrox is often 36%. Diving at 60 feet is a pO2 of 1.0, for which you have 5 hours of exposure allowed per 24 h. My dives are all more than an hour, usually closer to an hour and a quarter. After 4 or 5 dives, I almost always exceed the 24 hour limit as shown on page 70 of your user's manual. You should also take a look at pages 84 and 85 of your user's manual. At 80% exposure, you get an alarm that can be dismissed and returns you to the main screen. When you hit 100%, you do not return to the main screen and lose quantitative NDL tracking. Nitrogen exposure is still tracked but shows up only in the graphic display, it is not available on an alternate screen. If you go into deco, it will show up on the graphic but you will not have the ceiling and stop time on the main screen. The computer will remain locked out like this until the O2 exposure drops below 100%. The Geo2 is really a nice computer, this is the only behavior that really annoyed me and it only applies if your dive profiles look like mine.

Fortunately, my VT3 worked differently. At 100% O2 exposure, NDL or ATR is still available on an alternate screen, whichever is more limiting. If you go into deco, ceiling depth and stop time are still available. I mostly switched to the Nitek Q to learn about Buhlmann with GFs, but am glad I no longer have to deal with the O2 exposure monitoring of the Geo2

Good diving, Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom