Oceanic Islander BC Integrated 2nd Stage / Inflator Hose QD fittings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

T Sh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Attention gearheads! Thanks for those of you who have helped me thus far. I recently purchased a new QD adapter and LP hose for my old Oceanic Islander BC with integrated 2nd stage on the inflator hose. DGX has two different adapter fittings options, and I got the Aqualung option as it was listed as being compatible for Oceanic Air XS. However, the new adapter leakes when I plug it onto the port in my integrated 2nd stage. I will attach a photo. The fit feels snug, but leaks air when I charge the line. What should I do?? Does the male end of the fitting need to be replaced?

Attachments

• adapter.jpeg
    adapter.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 86
Where is the leak? (put it in a tub of water and look for the bubbles) From where the male fitting goes into the LPI, or from the space between the male and female fittings? Does it only leak when the hose is inserted, or also when the hose is disconnected? Tiny bubbles or massive amount of air coming out?

Where is the leak? (put it in a tub of water and look for the bubbles) From where the male fitting goes into the LPI, or from the space between the male and female fittings? Does it only leak when the hose is inserted, or also when the hose is disconnected? Tiny bubbles or massive amount of air coming out?
Here's a photo with an arrow pointing to where it leaks. massive air, but it feels like a snug fit to put it on there.

Attachments

• adapter closed.jpeg
    adapter closed.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 73
Does it only leak when connected to the LPI fitting?

Chances are it is the o-ring that is inside the female QD connector. It is tough to change. You want to get the old one out without harming the chrome-over-brass groove it is in, so use a hooked plastic or brass o-ring pick, not a steel one. Putting the new o-ring in can be very furstrating, but there are good tricks. See this thread: https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/replacing-power-inflator-hose-o-ring.559038. You can also buy a tool from ScubaTools to do the job:
upload_2020-2-25_19-37-12.png

However, if your Islander is old enough, the fittings might not quite be compatible. You'll need to order a new Oceanic male fitting, for example this one: Apeks/Aqualung/SeaQuest/Zeagle Adapter 3/8M Thread
Replacing the one on your inflator though might be interesting....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom