Oceanic Probe HLC weight system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marcus8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,

My lady and I both bought the Probe HLC BCDs about 4 years ago. I had a Probe prior to this and was largely happy with it. As soon as I received this model, I could see the weak point was the Integrated Weight system. It seemed quite fragile at the connection point while the rest of the BCD was quite sturdy. I'm aware of the recall for the pouches and it turns out I have the newer, stiffer, grey model so that's not been an issue.

4 years and perhaps 100 comfortable dives in, much less than the prior probe, the connection system has completely come apart. The actual piece that is permanently attached to the BC has come out while setting up for a dive recently. I've had to just stick weights in the pocket as a temp fix just to dive. This is quite disconcerting as I was hoping to get much more mileage out of it. I'm worried it's just a weak aspect of the BCD and my ladies system might be in danger of failing as well in the same manner. It's frustrating as the BC looks new still, functions fine in all other aspects and fits me well.

So my question is....is it possible to get this repaired? Can I ship it somewhere for inspection, evaluated, etc.... ? It's worth it to me to go this route still, rather than buying new, since I feel it has a great deal of life in it still if this IWS is somehow repaired, and made sturdier.

Thanks
Mark

Does anyone have a helpful reply?

Now that Oceanic has been sold to Huish Outdoors, support for some products is iffy at best. I used to dive a Probe as well (2004-2005) and then sold it after moving to a back plate and wing for single tanks. The old Probe was a great BC. Built like a tank and the integrated weight system worked well. You might use the dealer locator

Dealer Locator

I see 10 dealers in San Jose. Call one and see what they say. In the US you will get told to go through a dealer first. How they handle it is up to them. Don't be surprised if they try to talk you into a new BC. Especially since the probe is no longer made and the weight pockets on the new ones compared to the Probe I had, look like crap as far as the connecting mechanism.

Yes I had the same Probe from mid 2000s, was never a problem. Got a ton of usage out of it. Was hoping for something similar here. Thanks for the link, it might be time to go backplate/wings.

Mark

Now that Oceanic has been sold to Huish Outdoors, support for some products is iffy at best. I used to dive a Probe as well (2004-2005) and then sold it after moving to a back plate and wing for single tanks. The old Probe was a great BC. Built like a tank and the integrated weight system worked well. You might use the dealer locator

Dealer Locator

I see 10 dealers in San Jose. Call one and see what they say. In the US you will get told to go through a dealer first. How they handle it is up to them. Don't be surprised if they try to talk you into a new BC. Especially since the probe is no longer made and the weight pockets on the new ones compared to the Probe I had, look like crap as far as the connecting mechanism.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom