Oceanic Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northern sole

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Anyone use Alpha 8's, a friend of mine is leaving the country and does not do a lot of diving, I am tempted to buy his regs, hardly used and fully serviced, not to replace my trusted Apeks but maybe as a spare set or I may pass them on.

Anyone use them and what do you think of them.

Regards

N.S

Anyone use Alpha 8's, a friend of mine is leaving the country and does not do a lot of diving, I am tempted to buy his regs, hardly used and fully serviced, not to replace my trusted Apeks but maybe as a spare set or I may pass them on.

Anyone use them and what do you think of them.

Regards

N.S

Alpha 8 regulators are solid performers, very easy to maintain, and remarkably robust for almost any type of recreational diving. They have, at various times, been packaged with two different first stages....the more budget SP-5 flow-by piston or the more expensive PX-2 balanced piston first stage.

At a fair price, you could not go wrong with either.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

Thanks for quick reply, I'm going to try them out next couple of days on a shallow dive and see what I think, will let you know.

N.S

A few years ago, I got 2 Alpha 8's from Diver's Direct, with PX-3's. The price was something like $129 each, free shipping. An older Zeta off eBay came with a PX-2. PX-3 has an LP port at the bottom of the cylinder, which is cool for pony tanks; wish I had sold the PX-2 with the Alpha 8 I sold.

My personal rigs are a Delta 4 and an EOS, and I find the Alpha 8 to be so light as to seem positively buoyant, especially during recovery drills (look up!).

I had a couple of Alpha 7s on a CDX balanced diaphragm first stage. Gave them to a friend when I got a Scubapro Mk25 / S600.

I miss those regs. They breathed so well for such a simple design. Granted they don't breathe quite as well as the S600, but...ah...the simplicity was alluring.

(I'm an engineer...)

Bob

I have two Alpha 8's - they were very reasonable priced and have been solid performers.

I have a Oceanic DX4 W/ Alpha 7, and it's a great working reg, It is now my spare/loaner reg, but I have no issues diving with it if I ever needed to.

Finding a good service centers is the only downside in Canada, and the only reason I would not buy an other one, though I hear good things about Oceanic USA.

Back
Top Bottom