Oceanic scuba gear for a beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsado

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok, I plan on getting into diving very soon. The "package" that I am looking at getting is Oceanic and offered at visibility unlimited. My plan is to buy good equipment right off the bat so I don't outgrow it at the skill level and end up buying more a few years later. I really like the look of this Oceanic package but my limited knowledge of scuba equipment isn't comforting enough to drop a grand on a picture off eBay. This is the package:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Oceanic-Scuba-Gear-Probe-BCD-Reg-DVT-Computer-Octo_W0QQitemZ330104026066QQcategoryZ16053QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I would like some feedback on this package. What would you more experienced people upgrade over less important things? Mostly, I'll be cold water diving in the NY area. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

jsado

Welcome to SB. Let me take a look...

Okay, that's the last way I'd suggest buying gear. Oceanic is an excellent company with great gear, and I own a lot of it, i.e. the same BC, a couple of their computers, their fins, one of their regs (altho I have moved to a higher performance for primary and use this one for my pony), and more. You can learn a lot about Oceanic and what the MSRPs are here: http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/indexmain.cfm

But don't buy that package. Give your Local Dive Shop (LDS) that handles your training a shot at supplying your gear.

Then, if you still want to buy online, we have better suppliers, many posted here on the board. I compare all to www.ScubaToys.com but there are others good ones.

Oceanic makes excellent gear, but I'd bid the same package at several on line dealers and see what happens.

An excellent choice...that's what I use and I'm a seasoned instructor. Great price!

Looks like a good package and a good price. They state that they are an authorized dealer and the have 100% feedback with over 4000 transactions. I don't see how you could go wrong. You could try your LDS or even another online retailer but I wouldn't accept anything but an exact price match or better.

I went with the excursion and the Delta 4, same computer. Came close to the same price with my LDS

I don't think any of my local dive shops could touch that price. Things seem to be pretty expensive around here. I think I might want to upgrade the regulator to the GT3. That thing looks really nice. The delta 4 is out of my range.

I will take the advice of shopping around though. My main concern is upgrades, if any. And is this Oceanic package going to be good for the long run. Thanks for the feedback so far! I ordered a Tusa M-14 tech mask. My buddy who dives says it looks good but I'm crazy for buying stuff online w/out trying it on first. Any feedback on the M-14?

It helps if you fill out your profile, we might know local shops who would work with you at these prices - which is always preferable...!!

A mask would be the last thing I'd order on line...

Oceanic makes great gear and almost all my gear is Oceanic:Atmo, probe, versa pro, data max, Op5k, v-12 fins, zeta (2), alpah 7 (2), drysuit.

I'm all about saving money and diving is a gear intensive sport BUT, that dive shop won't be around for airfills, class's or gear repair/maint if people continue to purchase items over the internet.

Internet purchases havve very low overhead (operation costs) compared to your LDS and matching prices most of the time is impossible.

Keep this in mind too and this is a fact! Oceanic mandates pricing to it's dealers and even at the best buying program between vendors you're probably looking at $200 of cost difference from the best buying plan and the worst. If you find any "new" Oceanic gear with a big difference in price I can almost gaurantee they are NOT getting it as an authorized dealer. I help out at a LDS and I know the Oceanic dealer program and pricing becuase my shop sells Oceanic (among other brands) and I assure you, Oceanic MANDATES the pricing at it's authorized dealers.

Someday when your LDS isn't there because you and your bud's wanted to save a few bucks you'll only have yourself to blame.

Another "fact" about purchasing Oceanic gear thru the web. All Ocenic web purchases go thru the Oceanic website, NOT thru the LDS. If you see a dive shop with the Oceanic "shop & buy" logo and it doesn't take you to Oceanics website it is NOT an authorized web retailer either.

Something to think about...I like saving money too but I do know that extra couple hundred I spend at the LDS ensures it will be there for me later AND they've always been willing to tweak it for free if it needs it for whatever reason, your web site won't and can't do that.

jsado:
My plan is to buy good equipment right off the bat so I don't outgrow it at the skill level and end up buying more a few years later.

Per you words above. Assuming that you will be reading this board, diving alot in your area and continue your training I suggest the following:

Forget about the BC. Get yourself a bp/w and be done with it. You will never ever want to upgrade cause there is nothing that you can upgrade to. The cost is the same as a jacket BC....450 to 500 dollars.

The console has got to go. Get a SPG and then a wrist computer. If you want to stay with Oceanic then go with a Geo computer. SPG you can pick whatever brand you want to start with....IST is cheap and reliable and made at the same factory as most of the others.

For the regulator you should at least get GT3 CDX5 with another GT3 to be used as an octo.

Even at my shop in Taiwan I can almost reach your online price point. So I am sure that your local LDS in the US can do the same.

Good luck.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom