Oceanic USB Interface Protocol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wheezl

Reaction score
Well I emailed the fine folks at Oceanic asking them for the lowdown on interfacing with my new Versa Pro. Since I don't use Windows the current software is more or less useless to me.

I am considering writing a Mac and UNIX interface to the thing after finding a Windows machine somewhere and snooping the protocol off of the wire. I'm not a lawyer but this should fall into the realm of Fair Use as long as I don't try to sell my software. (I wouldn't want the legal hassles anyway)

Has anyone here attempted to write thier own communications software for thier dive computers? I'd certainly appreciate any tips from folks who may have walked this path before.

as soon as I get the cable and software I am going to plug the darn thing into a UNIX box and see what kind of device it thinks it is. I am hoping for generic mass storage... but that would be too easy :)

Tell me if you find an interface method or program for MAC's.
I could use it for my VEO 200 I went to the Factory and they couldn't even tell me if it would work with a MAC or not, So I didn't shell out the money for the program. I'll just do it the old fashioned way for now.

diverrick:
Tell me if you find an interface method or program for MAC's.
I could use it for my VEO 200 I went to the Factory and they couldn't even tell me if it would work with a MAC or not, So I didn't shell out the money for the program. I'll just do it the old fashioned way for now.

Well this will definitely be a back burner project, but since I have a few USB devices I have to muck with at work I might be able to roll this into some of the same learning process. I will post here if I make anything useful.

Has anyone found out about dive computer communication protocols? I am very interested.

Willie Peloquin

Better late than never I guess... the oceanic cable I bought for my versa pro had a pic microcontroller in it. It was made by a 3rd party for oceanic IIRC. I have a picture of the inside somewhere I will link to later. So it might not be too straight forward, but using usbsnoop on windows with the software might shed some light.

I started using a citizen watch computer then went shearwater so I havent messed with the versa pro in ages.

It was a $90-$100 cable tho.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom