OCEARCH - An Introduction To Our Global Mission

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ocearch

New
Reaction score
OCEARCH is a non-profit organization with a global reach for unprecedented research on the ocean’s giants - Great White Sharks.

OCEARCH facilitates unprecedented research by supporting leading researchers and institutions seeking to attain groundbreaking data on the biology and health of sharks, in conjunction with basic research on shark life history and migration. The researchers we support work aboard the M/V OCEARCH, a unique 126’ vessel equipped with a custom 75,000 hydraulic lift and research platform, which serves as both mothership and at-sea laboratory.
Shark populations worldwide are under threat with significant declines in shark populations documented in areas where they were once common. The International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) has determined that of the shark and ray species assessed, 30 percent are threatened or near-threatened with extinction. Conserving sharks is thus currently a global conservation priority and devising successful conservation and management strategies is largely limited by our scientific knowledge on their biology. Significant information is lacking with regard to the medium and long range movement patterns of white sharks. Traditional research has focused on fine small scale movements of white sharks within known aggregation sites. Gaining this previously unattainable information enables more effective shark and ocean conservation and – protection of human life. Our collaborative work with leading researchers and their institutions generates data in a number of areas pertaining to shark ecology. Including: Reproductive behavior of white sharks, in terms of where and when they participate in mating and birthing behavior. Behavior of juveniles, in terms of the existence and persistence of nursery grounds. Individual movements as a function of season and life history stage. Adult behavior, especially mature females. Identification of additional coastal aggregation sites. This unprecedented data enhances the ability of managers to make informed decisions to ensure the sustainability shark populations. Sharing data gathered during our research with the public is core to our mission.
As apex predators, sharks play a crucial role of maintaining balance in the delicate oceanic ecosystem. Like the big cats of Africa, sharks have an effect on all levels in the food web below them. When a top predator like sharks are removed or depleted a potentially catastrophic domino effect occurs throughout the food web, threatening the balance of the ocean. For instance, rapidly reproducing species like squid have the potential to explode when the balance is shifted. Aggressively consumptive, squid can consume up to a third of their body weight daily as juveniles, placing unprecedented pressure on their prey. Shark populations worldwide are under threat – sharks are being slaughtered at an unsustainable rate, many for a bowl of soup. This unsustainable harvest rate driven by the demand for shark fins, meat and other products puts not only sharks at risk, but also the entire balance of the ocean. Conserving sharks is a global conservation priority and devising successful conservation and management strategies is largely limited by our scientific knowledge on their biology and life history. Significant information is lacking with regard to the medium and long range movement patterns of white sharks. Traditional research has focused on fine small scale movements of white sharks within known aggregation sites. Gaining this previously unattainable information enables more effective shark and ocean conservation.

Our most recent expedition, ExpeditionJax is currently underway off the coast of Jacksonville, FL.
Follow our BLOG and follow us on TWITTER INSTAGRAM and FACEBOOK for expedition updates from the crew!

Is this really necessary?
Painful to watch but look at the happy faces of those involved ... shark lovers?? Really??

[video=youtube;OlvJVUCYmqw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlvJVUCYmqw&fb_action_ids=1015200521153931 4&fb_action_types=yt-fb-app%3Aupload_ne&fb_source=timeline_og&action_objec t_map={%2210152005211539314%22%3A467779930004638}& action_type_map={%2210152005211539314%22%3A%22yt-fb-app%3Aupload_ne%22}&action_ref_map=[][/video]

Don't hold your breath, waiting for answers ... Just checked, and this thread is the only post ever entered by OCEARCH, back in February.

So, unless Cap'n Ahab has been out to sea, all this time ...:wink:

Don't hold your breath, waiting for answers ... Just checked, and this thread is the only post ever entered by OCEARCH, back in February.

So, unless Cap'n Ahab has been out to sea, all this time ...:wink:

How funny and ironic, isn't it!!!! Is this just another of their publicity stunt? I was hoping that some supporter here will tipped them off :p

Maybe I should pinned this thread to their Facebook Fan page ... but I'd have to "like" that page to post so ..

Anyway, since they are spreading on this post about their global mission to protect sharks, just wanna to raise public awareness on the fact that maybe, just maybe they not. If they want to hide behind the curtains, enuff said!!!!

---------- Post added October 29th, 2013 at 08:39 AM ----------

If Ocearch has the guts to post about their mission on SB, I will continue to ask questions. We want more accountability for their so-called research program.
We'll continue to raise awareness and start online peitition to stop them!!
Join in the fight if you really love sharks!!

https://www.causes.com/v2actions/17...gn=own_timeline&utm_medium=wall&utm_source=fb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Keep...ias-Sharks/648076455232424?hc_location=stream

Last edited:
Well, at least they haven't been back in 8 months... that's a good thing IMHO. I've been really disappointed to see some research instityutions that I respect getting involved with these folks (and have written to tell them so).

Chris Fischer and team Ocearch: Are you trying so hard to cover up evidence and admitting that your methods are tantamount to animal abuse and not about scientific research and protecting sharks.

Well, I have just learned from my friend that NatGeo has pulled out all his anti-OCEARCH videos showing evidence of DAMAGES done to the sharks during YOUR MISSION. NatGeo has also filed a complaint to Facebook and Facebook has issued a threat to terminate his account. I know that there are copyright issues on the NatGeo videos but what’s up with Facebook on video/photo sharing?? Every second there are people posting racist craps and other worse stuff but they do not take action. Now they are against someone stating facts (with real evidence evidently that is not his but revealing truth).

Australia, be warned!!! Chris Fischer is live on New Talk 6PR 882 in Perth West Australia just this morning. Is NatGeo and Ocearch teaming up again? Seems they are trying very hard to invade Australia. I hardly pray these days but I pray for Australia sharks now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom