Octopus Abyss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uksub

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there, am I correct in assuming that the Abyss Octopus is a de-tuned Abyss, dressed up in octo colours, and would it fit the bill as my back-up reg ( on the left post-as you wear them), when I decide to move up to doubles?
Looking forward to your replies.
Many thanks.........

Hi there, am I correct in assuming that the Abyss Octopus is a de-tuned Abyss, dressed up in octo colours, and would it fit the bill as my back-up reg ( on the left post-as you wear them), when I decide to move up to doubles?
Looking forward to your replies.
Many thanks.........

Yes, the Abyss Octo is the same reg. The only difference is that the factory adjust the cracking effort at a slightly higher level. This makes it less prone to free flows. Mares typically adjust primary second stages to have a cracking effort of 1.2", while the octopus units are around 1.4". The primary setting allows the reg to have very low inhalation effort while in the normal swimming position, yet it is not so low that it free flows between breaths.

If you decide to dive doubles, then the second stage can be adjusted to 1.2".

I use Mares regs on my doubles, and I have the long hose reg adjusted to 1.2". I keep the back-up reg at 1.4" as it really isn't noticeable. Plus, I am only breathing the back-up while having my buddy breath from my long hose. In a situation like that, the cracking effort is low on your priority list.

Greg Barlow

Hi Greg, so the the octo will fit right in as the 'back-up' reg, then....excellent! :yeahbaby:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom