Closed: Odd quoting behavior

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've got a question. Recently, I started seeing odd behavior when replying to a quote (call it parent) that was a reply to another quote (call it grandparent). In the past, my reply would only quote the parent. Recently, something seems to have changed. Now I'm getting parent and grandparent by default, which I do like. However it isn't working correctly.

Is this likely something wonky with firefox or has there been some xenforo change?

Edit: after looking at this again, I see the issue. The grandparent quoted text is being put into the place where the grandparent's userid should be. There is no closing bracket on the nexted QUOTE tag, and no text between the close " and the open bracket for the close quote tag. Something went awry.

Here's an example I just encountered in another thread:

Code:
[QUOTE="jvogt, post: 8229304, member: 415922"][QUOTE=".....Scuba is also expensive in this day and age......"[/QUOTE]

Yes, but no more than other sports.

I just finished kitting up for full Trimix certification.  I now have 12/13 tanks of various sizes, two side mount rigs, a back mount rig, 7 reg sets, can light, 3 backup lights, 4 pair of fins, and all the other accessories.  All of that equipment cost less than my new mountain bike.  Add in the training and we may be a little higher.  Now all that equipment could last me a lifetime.  I buy a new mountain bike every 3 years due to the old one being worn out.

I know not everyone has my means, but total budget is relative.  Why are people choosing other activities?[/QUOTE]
Sure there are other sports where you can spend insane ammounts of money.   You must be buying $20-$30k bikes every couple years? Aviation might be even more expensive.  I can think of few sports or hobbies that match those three in costs.  Scuba is not the most expensive hobby in the world ther is no doubt but it's far, very far, from being inexpensive.  I only do maybe 50 dives a year and I probably put close to $10k/year in associated costs.    Other hobbies of mine, even amateur radio, computers, and firearms, were all far less expensive.   In the case of firearms I was shooting 3-5 days a week every week all year and I spent about half what I spend on scuba.

[QUOTE=".....Scuba is also expensive in this day and age......"

Yes, but no more than other sports.

I just finished kitting up for full Trimix certification. I now have 12/13 tanks of various sizes, two side mount rigs, a back mount rig, 7 reg sets, can light, 3 backup lights, 4 pair of fins, and all the other accessories. All of that equipment cost less than my new mountain bike. Add in the training and we may be a little higher. Now all that equipment could last me a lifetime. I buy a new mountain bike every 3 years due to the old one being worn out.

I know not everyone has my means, but total budget is relative. Why are people choosing other activities?[/QUOTE]
Sure there are other sports where you can spend insane ammounts of money. You must be buying $20-$30k bikes every couple years? Aviation might be even more expensive. I can think of few sports or hobbies that match those three in costs. Scuba is not the most expensive hobby in the world ther is no doubt but it's far, very far, from being inexpensive. I only do maybe 50 dives a year and I probably put close to $10k/year in associated costs. Other hobbies of mine, even amateur radio, computers, and firearms, were all far less expensive. In the case of firearms I was shooting 3-5 days a week every week all year and I spent about half what I spend on scuba.

Last edited:
Nevermind, the problem was with the post I was replying to. It wasn't my browser or xenforo at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom