Odile to rake western Mexico on the way to Baja

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Long range forecasts current expect a Cat-2 direct hit on the peninsula, subject to developments, but it looks like she's going to rain & blow on much of the west coast for the next few days getting there.
Odile 2014: 5 Day Forecast Map | Weather Underground

Map should auto update for the duration....

ep201415_5day.gif

Does it seems weird to anyone else that CA and the West Coast are getting whacked with hurricanes? Since when did the water get warm enough over there for that?

Does it seems weird to anyone else that CA and the West Coast are getting whacked with hurricanes? Since when did the water get warm enough over there for that?
Cyclones often form west of Mexico but more commonly head west. Lately, some have headed north, altho I don't know of any actually making it to US California - even tho the rains & swells often reach that far.

Did US California get any rain from that? Of course it rained in Baja California when the storm started turning that way on breakup, Arizona has been in the news - even with people driving into water not expecting to drown, and it also rained from that one in New Mexico & here West Texas - much to the relief of us cotton farmers with plants trying to finish the crop year well but needing water to fill the bolls. Indeed we often benefit when one breaks up in northern Mexico, coming in from the east of west.

A "hit" would be hurricane force winds hitting US California I think - which hasn't happened since who knows, but flooding is the biggest killer from cyclones. I haven't heard of US California getting any tho?

These have been happening for a LONG time (even longer than I've been alive). I remember an August downpour back in the 70s from one that forced me to pull over to the side of the road and wait it out.

They do seem to be happening with greater frequency, undoubtedly because the water is exceptionally warm this year (77 F surface temps recorded by some off Catalina). After Marie's substantial damage here and a fair bit of surge from Norbert, I'm not happy to hear about another one stirring up the waters.

Looks like she's veering west of the peninsula and not going for the direct hit after all. I'm sure there will be some effects there, still - and on up the coast.

We're getting more rain from Norbert here again. They can pump a lot of moisture into the inland patterns reaching over a thousand miles easily.,

Don... see if you can nudge Odile further west. We sure need the rain out here

Oops, now [-]Cat-3[/-] Cat-4 and heading for the peninsula after all. Could be rough.

Bill, he may do more than just rain on your island...?!

ep201415_sat.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom