Offer the Qualification, but won't allow you to use it??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoloMonkey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey Scuba Boarders.

I'm Paul AKA Solo Monkey.

Having been a solo diver for a few years now and trained under SDI/TDI in the art form I'd like to know if there are any places you know of that will allow you to do the qualification, but then again don't allow you to use it.

At present I'm getting a load of grief in Europe, having spoken to one operator on lanzarote that offers both Self Reliant and SDI Solo, yet when you message ahead and say "Hey here's my credentials" I'd like to dive solo and they look to you like you have a plague of ebola and state that "Whilst we offer the course, but you aren't supposed to use it in anger"

Admittedly there's that issue of "Well you weren't trained by us", but surely a check dive is good enough for that??

Best regards

Paul AKA Solo Monkey

Never heard of such a thing. The card and certification is a CYA for insurance companies, and most shops who offer it is because they will let you do it. I've never heard of a shop offering a solo class and then not letting you dive solo. Doesn't seem legit.

Never heard of such a thing. The card and certification is a CYA for insurance companies, and most shops who offer it is because they will let you do it. I've never heard of a shop offering a solo class and then not letting you dive solo. Doesn't seem legit.
I ran into this in Curaco in Blue Bay (private beach). PADI shop, they offer 'Self-Reliant' but don't allow solo diving. I'm certain there are other examples. . .

Ultimately, though, 'their pool, their rules'

I ran into this in Curaco in Blue Bay (private beach). PADI shop, they offer 'Self-Reliant' but don't allow solo diving. I'm certain there are other examples. . .

Ultimately, though, 'their pool, their rules'

According to their website and liability form, Buddy Dive seems to have a no solo policy but I have never seen any enforcement.

There are plenty of other pools if it is ever a problem.

Actually in Blue Bay I did a solo expedition through them in 2015. However, this was booked in advance with the specific requirement of "Qualified solo diver". They did also rent me the lion fish hunting tools which was great fun. Hunting the critters down by the drilling ship anchorage.

Buddy's on Bonaire seem to be okay with it though. When in Bonaire in 2014 I was shacked up at their sister facility (used to be Hilltop Divers) up at Oil Slicks leap. Once again I normally deal with Solo diving by making contact ahead of time, as opposed to turning up unannounced. What about the rest of you? arrange in advance or wing it??

Cheers for the replies so far by the way.

Paul

Last time we went to Bonaire, we stayed at what I would call a condo complex on the water that had a small shop that was an extension of Buddy's. One of the guys also staying there went out every morning by himself (he wasn't solo certified I don't believe) and it appeared that there were no questions asked. I'm not doing my solo class until July but will be leaving for Grand Cayman a few days afterward. The timing may not work out for other reasons but I already checked and was told there some kind of rule on Grand Cayman that precludes solo diving. Just curious about how people go about doing solo diving, do most shops just not ask questions? Don't ask, don't tell?

I was just on St. Martin for a week and all though there did not appear to be a "law" prohibiting solo diving the shop we got our tanks at would not rent tanks to an individual. There had to be a buddy and they also had us fill out full blown liability waivers like we were there to take a class. This was just to rent a tank.

The Buddy Dive no-solo policy is from their boats.

Hey Scuba Boarders.

I'm Paul AKA Solo Monkey.

Having been a solo diver for a few years now and trained under SDI/TDI in the art form I'd like to know if there are any places you know of that will allow you to do the qualification, but then again don't allow you to use it.

At present I'm getting a load of grief in Europe, having spoken to one operator on lanzarote that offers both Self Reliant and SDI Solo, yet when you message ahead and say "Hey here's my credentials" I'd like to dive solo and they look to you like you have a plague of ebola and state that "Whilst we offer the course, but you aren't supposed to use it in anger"

Admittedly there's that issue of "Well you weren't trained by us", but surely a check dive is good enough for that??

Best regards

Paul AKA Solo Monkey

The Canary Islands fall under Spanish law. Although I'm not specifically aware of a law AGAINST solo diving, the Spanish have some other restrictions, like making it illegal to dive a night, that would lead me to believe that a restriction on solo diving would fit into that same overly nurturing mind-set.

If you Google around for Spanish restrictions on scuba diving you might find something. Otherwise just ask the shop if it's a shop policy or a law that they have to follow.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom