Offer to physically handicapped colleague.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roy_W

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a colleague who has physical disabilites in that he has very little/is losing completely the usage of the muscles in his legs. Most of the time he uses an electric chair for mobility.

I would like to make him the offer of coming on a discovery dive but I am unsure how to proceed.

In my club there are two Certified Instructors FFESSM - PSH ( Personne en Situation d'Handicap ). It's a French certification ( FFESSM) which allows them to manage divers with verying degrees of handicap. They are both very qualified divers, more than 15 years each with some of the highest levels that France/CMAS has to offer.

My question : How should I proceed.

* Ask my instructors if it's Ok with them and learn about the prerequisites.
* If they are Ok , determine if logistically it is possible.
* Then and only then, ask the my colleague if he would like to come on a dive.

I don't want to offend/pressure/annoy anyone or put anyone into an uncomfortable position and would like to hear any suggestions that might be useful.

Thanks in advance
Roy

We have similar programs here in the states. The first one that comes to mind is Diveheart, which actually is here on SB. They take divers with varying degrees of physical and mental handicap and show them freedom underwater. I know anyone that wants to help with their dives has to take a class to learn how to assist handicapped divers. SO definitely talk to your instructors and find out what it would take then approach your colleague and ask if it's something he'd be interested in. I highly doubt anyone would get offended. Actually I'd be willing to bet all parties would be grateful for your thoughtfulness.

I think your approach is exactly right. Ask the instructors first in case it is not feasible, as you obviously don't want to get your friend's hopes up if there is a specific medical exclusion. Many agencies now provide 'adaptive teaching programs' and the instructors often find these sessions just as rewarding as the participants.

Do you guys think that I would also be allowed to dive with them ? I hope so, it would be great to share the dive afterwards with my colleague.

You'd have to check with the instructor. I can't speak for your agency, but with ours any diver below Rescue Diver counts in the student ratio.

Also bear in mind that their attention will be 100% on your friend, which you'd expect. No harm in asking though.

Do you guys think that I would also be allowed to dive with them ? I hope so, it would be great to share the dive afterwards with my colleague.
Agreed, that's a question for the instructor. Maybe ask Diveheart what their requirements are. I know to be an "Adaptive Dive Buddy" you have to take their certification course. But that's to be able to actually assist a handicapped diver. Just to dive WITH them? Maybe not. It's really up to the adaptive agency and their policies.

Ok, thanks guys I will update the thread as I progress, it will take a few weeks as this is the holiday period.

Cheers

Well finally, I spoke and discussed the possibility with my instructors who were very enthusiastic, I also learned of some of their experience, most notably in Egypt with a large group of handi-divers, all I can do is admire their courage and commitment.

I also spoke to my colleague yesterday, his main concern was that of being required to swim, I replied that the 2 monitors would ensure everything. I hope that I have not overstepped the mark by not taking into consideration the possibility that the water might actually be an element that does not inspire his confidence.

Anyway, he now knows that he is welcome, that a team are prepared to assist and that his only requirement is to have a valid medical certificate. I hope that he eventually accepts, I would love to share the moment with him after he gets back out of the water.

For your friend's sake, I hope he builds up enough courage to accept your offer, too. I think it could potentially change a lot of things in his life for the better. At the very least it could be a huge confidence builder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom