For Sale Official Freedom Plate List: Please respond here.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oct 13, 2018 via a profile post on you wall.

Large size SS plate.

Thank you... can't wait to get my plate!

Hi @Eric Sedletzky I tried to PM you but I couldn't... I'm looking to buy some items to build my plate out, and with that I was curious if you had any updates on when 'my plate' would ship?

Thanks, Jon.

Hi @Eric Sedletzky I tried to PM you but I couldn't... I'm looking to buy some items to build my plate out, and with that I was curious if you had any updates on when 'my plate' would ship?

Thanks, Jon.
I’m working on it.
I’m not a regular company, just some dude that makes these on the side in his garage.

There’s a lot of welding and each rail needs to be assembled and built onto each individual plate since each plate is hand made. There are slight differences between each individual plate.
Us too but the tank does rest on my butt, probably because its a small (the FP that is) and I am short.

So Eric, what about if you had a pin profilometer to draw rail outlines at your recommended angle? Then it just becomes cutting and welding a pair of rails. How accommodating is your laser person?

We could talk...

So Eric, what about if you had a pin profilometer to draw rail outlines at your recommended angle? Then it just becomes cutting and welding a pair of rails. How accommodating is your laser person?

We could talk...
Hey Dennis. I think he has put this on a back burner for now. It was a garage project with wood blocks, vises and brute force that didn’t go as well as planned.

I get why the aluminum plates come without rails. I want a minimalist rig for times when I just want to go have a quick look somewhere easy in the summer. (Think Maclearie Park and the Brandywine River)

I also see why you would want rails for comfort while wading out to your photo diving sites.

@Eric Sedletzky: My thinking is a profile gauge with a tank angle readout could be built that could be pressed against the plate to allow one to easily draw a perfect custom rail for those who really like rails. I don't need rails, but I also understand why others do.

The optional bottom kick-out feature will be provided by a wedge shaped piece of 2” channel with one hole at the bottom where it will be bolted to the plate over the wing. The wing will go down first then the wedge goes over the wing. The cam bands will go through the plate. The tank will rest on the two roll control cushions (on the wing) on top, and the channel edges (with protectors) on the bottom. This eliminates the problem of the top rail bolt digging into the tank or being too short, plus a lot of DIY on the part of the user trying to figure out way to fit a rail over their wing and find or cut the right length bolt, etc.
It also moves the tank closer in at the top which is paramount to the FP slipstream/minimalist concept. If someone wants a rig with the tank sticking way out at the top then go get a steep bend doubles plate and use a STA. The Freedom Plate is designed to be completely opposite from that and I’m determined to maintain that principle.

By simplifying things, it reduces the amount of interpretation on the part of the user thus reducing or eliminating the margin of error.

Sweet!

A suggestion to consider: As the standoff will be removed with each change, maybe cut an extra carriage bolt hole so that the plate can hold an extra bolt, washer, and wingnut if the user chooses to do so? I've donated hardware to Poseidon on rough boats in the past.

The stand-off sounds like a great idea, but I don't need it...

A suggestion to consider: As the standoff will be removed with each change, maybe cut an extra carriage bolt hole so that the plate can hold an extra bolt, washer, and wingnut if the user chooses to do so? I've donated hardware to Poseidon on rough boats in the past.
the stand off bracket doesn’t need to be removed with each tank change, it will bolt down over the wing on the bottom and the tank will sit on top of it. Is that what you meant?

The run has already been ordered. It’s too late to make changes now.

Back
Top Bottom