For Sale Official Freedom Plate List: Please respond here.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is contour vs non-contour an option as well?
No, there is no longer a non contoured plate.
They were always curved top to bottom and side to side and the bottom was always rolled out, but there was no edge curve. Look at Soloist’s post #338,
That is a series 2 non contoured plate.
The rails were welded on to give the plate overall top to bottom strength.

I wanted to take the plate up to the next level so I decided to roll the side edges out giving the plate a third dimension of shape. This is when I named it the Contour.
Doing this gave the plate a level of unparalleled comfort because it sinks into your back better and you don’t feel the edges biting in anywhere around the perimeter. It also created a compound curve and The resulting strength that allowed thinner materials to be used. I came up with a removable rail because the plate had such strength that welded on rail bars were no longer necessary for rigidity. A removable rail set on 11” center holes also made for virtually any wing to be used with the plate. The only wing that still doesn’t play nice is DSS, but it doesn’t seem that anyone really cares.

Contour = Freedom plate

Non-contour = everybody else

BC196419-0A69-4548-B6DE-1CA32C26F48F.jpeg

The picture in post #338 - Is that a rail or a wedge?

Erik, my plate may be coming up in your next fabrication run also (ordered 11/26/2018, post # 48).

I would like to add what is pictured in post #338 to my SS medium plate if possible.
Thank you

I am looking forward to my freedom plate as much as I am anticipating my next dive trip.

The picture in post #338 - Is that a rail or a wedge?

Erik, my plate may be coming up in your next fabrication run also (ordered 11/26/2018, post # 48).

I would like to add what is pictured in post #338 to my SS medium plate if possible.
Thank you
That’s a welded on rail bracket which is a generation 2 and no longer available. I’m up to generation 4 now and the replacement would either be a bolted-on rail bracket which is the updated version of what you see in post #338, or a bottom wedge which is a half bracket that bolts into the bottom only over the wing and provides some angle also like what you see in post #338.
If you are using a VDH, Oxycheq, or the new style DGX wing then all you need is the wedge. The wedge will also work with several other wings but I don’t have a list. The rail is designated now as an adapter bracket like a STA for problem wings that are not fully compatible with the FP, either because they don’t have any anti roll cushions to stabilize the tank (on top), or the slots don’t line up, or the wing doesn’t have any cam band slots at all, or some other reason. DSS wings don’t work at all even with a rail because of a big rubber block that is sewn into the panel right in the middle of the wing.
In order for DSS wings to work this block would have to be removed.

Sounds like both options are bolt on and can be added to our order when they come up in the fabrication queue.
If this is the case I'll wait until I'm contacted.
If we need to choose now please let me know.

Thank you for your dedication to making a superior product!
Can not wait to dive one.

Sounds like both options are bolt on and can be added to our order when they come up in the fabrication queue.
If this is the case I'll wait until I'm contacted.
If we need to choose now please let me know.

Thank you for your dedication to making a superior product!
Can not wait to dive one.
The wedges are a generic item and I always have those around. The rails are a little trickier since each plate is slightly different, but adding a rail later is still doable.

Back
Top Bottom