Official Swamper Campout Sept 10-11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeppermintPaddi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Answers are getting lost in the long thread, starting a new one. Looks like:

* Park details: Windy Point Park
* 60 ffw of water temp details http://wwwext.arlut.utexas.edu/omg/weather.html
* The Swamp banner will appear at 'our' campsite Fri evening, thanks to Lake Travis Scuba and Downunderjenn
* There will be camping on Friday night, and possibly on Sat night too.
* Correction: Besides the usual charters, there will be special Friday AND Saturday evening charter dives with Lake Travis Scuba - make arrangements at Welcome to Lake Travis Scuba
* Shore diving (of course)
* No one is coordinating eating together (yet) - BYOF
* No one is coordinating a bonfire, but maybe someone could bring a Coleman lantern to attract bugs and divers
* Potential to pre-register and participate in the Lake Travis Cleanup on Sunday morning, with free TShirts, lunch, and prizes Lake Travis Underwater Cleanup | Keep Austin Beautiful

So far interest has been indicated by:
Jalistair
Scubashawn123
Svnipp
Raxpix
Cavemn
Peppermintpaddi
Paul19may
Deadly_Risk
Ftwdiver14
Avocadogirl
Cbrich

Last edited:
Charters are running as follows:

Friday Sunset Charter - 6:00; one tank dive $25
Saturday morning and afternoon - 8:30 - 12:30, 1:00 - 5:00; two tank $40
Saturday Sunset Charter - 6:00; one tank dive $25

We will visit Starnes Island, Oasis Wall, Cypress Creek Wall, Wreck Alley or Shaker Plant during the dives. Itinerary will be determined by the divers at the beginning of the charter.

Send a reservation request from Welcome to Lake Travis Scuba to save your space. Space is limited to eight divers.

Yeah. I'm definitely driving in Friday night, but I'm still not sure about the camping out thing or if I'll just get a hotel room for the night. I'm doing the morning dives with LTS, and then I may do a shore dive there at Windy Point before heading back home. I have plans for Sunday afternoon, so I won't be hanging around for the Sunday diving though.

I'm guessing that Windy Point provides air fills? I've never been camping before, so I'm not sure if I want to do that solo my first time. Decisions, decisions...

If you go to Windy Point you may not have to do a solo dive unless your impatient like myself. The place always has divers there and if you mingle you can probably link in with one of them for a dive. If you do decide to go solo it really is not a bad place for it. As a shore dive in a controlled area you can use the shoreline to ensure you don't get lost. Visibility is pretty good for a lake and there are plenty of platforms that can be set as a depth goal, and other things laid out there to look at. Or if your like myself and you get bored looking at the things placed there you can instead look into the rocks for fish, their is one called a Rio Granda something or another that hangs around in pairs and has about 100 or so baby fish poking at the rocks beside them. You can also feed the bluegills and if your lucky some of the larger fish although the larger ones tend to shy away from divers there. Or you can go lower where there are less divers and the visibility improves and look for fossils, I found a great one last weekend.

Thanks for the info, but I'm not qualified for solo diving and really don't have any interest in it at this point. I'm going to be diving from the GS in the morning, and my buddy and I will probably do a shore dive after that in the afternoon.

to quote Zinc, "bump".
:popcorn:

Mary I want to thank you for keeping the information flowing on the swamper event this weekend at Lake Travis.

This is really nice on your part to participate and get everyone together and on the same page this weekend to enjoy all the bottom time together.

Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom