Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Jim

Contributor
Reaction score
Here's an amusing story from the Daily Telegraph (that's a British paper, BTW!)

An innocent abroad
One minute Dudi Appleton was strolling in Los Angeles. The next he was on his way to jail. His crime? Crossing the road - just one of many peculiar offences around the world which could ruin your holiday
(Filed: 18/11/2003)

The long and peculiar arm of the law

I am sure I have done things in my life for which I deserve to go to prison, but crossing the road is not one of them. Still, that is what happened on a recent visit to Los Angeles. I knew walking, as opposed to driving, in the city was pretty unusual; I didn't realise it was illegal.

It was 1am on a Monday morning and I had just been thrown a "welcome to laid-back California" dinner by friends. Later (and, yes, sober) I walked 300 yards to buy a phonecard: 1am in LA is 9am in London, and the perfect time to make vital calls home.

Emerging from the 7-11 store with two phonecards and a bottle of Vanilla Coke, I dandered across a virtually deserted Santa Monica Boulevard and strolled down La Cienega.

Minutes later, a sheriff's car screeched onto the pavement behind me. Hunting down some notorious LA criminal, I thought. No doubt they wanted to know whether I had seen anyone suspicious.

"Come here," said one of the car's occupants. Keen to help, I walked towards them, only to find myself pushed face down onto the car bonnet.

Unusual suspect: Dudi Appleton (second left) was arrested for 'jaywalking' in LA

"Do you always do that?" the woman officer (she did all the talking, pushing and prodding) barked as she yanked my arms back bending my thumbs sharply upwards. What was my crime, I wondered: whistling Irish folk tunes in a built-up area?

"Do what?" I ventured.

"Walk across the road."

Fearing a trick question I said nothing.

"ID?"

"In my pocket."

"Which pocket?"

I gestured with my chin. "That one, I think."

"Get it."

Now I was really confused. My arms were pinioned behind me while my face was being lightly seared on the metal of the cop car. The next thing I knew, I was being cuffed and thrown into the back of the car. Having decided that my ID was insufficient they told me they were "taking me in". In the Cagney and Lacey, rather than the Orphan Annie sense.

"Listen," I said, "my passport is only a block away."

"We're not taking you there - it's too dangerous."

Now, in my admittedly limited experience, LA's danger spots are far to the east of affluent Melrose, but my captors were adamant. I explained I was in town as a writer for an British newspaper and accredited by the mayor's office, so my identity could be easily confirmed. This was ignored. A car pulled up and its occupants called over to me."Can we help you sir? Would you like us to call you an attorney?" But at this, I was driven away. Not to check my passport 200 yards distant, but to a cell a mile away.

Those who know me well will attest to a certain lack of patience with authority, particularly authority wielded with stupidity. I admit that at this point I got angry."You're only making it worse for yourself."

"How much worse can it be? What are you going to do? Give me a lethal injection?" I replied.

"We're just doing our job."

"Arresting tourists?"

They explained that jaywalking tourists had to be put away. This was the first mention of my crime. To be honest I had no idea what it meant.

"You must love your job," I said.

"We do."

"Can I give you a word of advice?" I was feeling bullish now.

"Yes sir."

"Get another job."

We arrived at the West Hollywood Sheriff's Office, where my possessions (wallet, belt, shoes and mobile phone) were taken and I was put into a 6ft x 6ft cell. Having your liberty taken away is a strange thing. Utterly humiliating. In the cell the jailer took my details. Two hours later they took my photo (Hugh Grant style) and fingerprints. Then more stupid questions.

"Weight?"

"Ten stone."

"Ok you wanna play it like that do ya? How big are the stones?"

"What?"

"You're only making it worse for yourself."

I asked for the boss. A tall woman in a serious uniform appeared another hour later. I asked her why I was there. She looked keen to thump me at any moment.

"You didn't have ID."

"Is that an offence?"

She returned 20 minutes later with my charge sheet. "You jaywalked. You're from Belfast, huh?"

"Yes."

"You wouldn't get away with this in Belfast."

"Say what you like about British justice," I offered, "but I don't think they've ever locked anyone up for crossing the road."

I asked for a pen and paper to take notes. "Write what you like but I'm not giving you a pen." Later I noticed an official sign in tiny letters detailing detainees' rights. The right to a pen and paper was one. I asked her about this. "I can't be expected to know what's written on the cell wall."

So I spent hours listening to another inmate, Sammy, argue with the jailers who kept calling him a "ho" rather than addressing him by his preferred title of "pimp", and reading the jailhouse signs. My favourite: "hate crimes are punishable by death". I didn't make any calls. I didn't want to wake my hosts (I wasn't altogether proud to be in the clink) and they weren't about to give me an international call.

Finally, with my captors still no clearer as to my identity, I was released at 6am. I was then given my possessions. Except for one.

"I had a Coke."

"There's a machine in the lobby."

"Best you go get me one then."

There was intense debate before they returned with a can. "But mine was a Vanilla Coke . . . " I began, but then thought better of it and cut my losses and left. With no taxis in sight, I walked a rather risky mile home.

My LA friends were not helpful in my post-traumatic state. The girls wanted to know if there were any cute cops or whether I made any "special" friends. Male friends refused to believe that there wasn't more to it than illicit traversing of the public highway.

Strangely, my complaint never amounted to anything. And I have to say I haven't felt the same about the US since. The illusion of a free and liberal society evaporated sometime between the humiliation of being locked up and the pettiness of the officers, revelling in the knowledge they could do whatever they wanted.

I never paid my $75 ticket though. That'll show them.

Sounds like LA to me. Tell Dudi to come to Catalina instead of LA. Although we're only 20 miles away, we're a world apart. I don't even own a car on the island and walk everywhere. Why we even have "streets" that are for pedestrians only. I think some of our visitors can't quite comprehend that.

While walking on the mainland, and even in my home town near Chicago, I remember receiving stares from drivers in automobiles that passed me. My father and sister would drive the half block to the local library... I get inside before they even parked.

A world without fossil fuel pollution is a nice dream.

Dr. Bill

Figures.. judgement of the US is based on a California incident.... thats like saying all beer tastes like crap when you've only had a can of Schlitz.

You've just opened this thread up................
to the torrent of comments we Canadians will make about American beer. I'm referring to the big companies though, not to the fine micro breweries and brew pubs. :D

Dave

CBulla once bubbled...
Figures.. judgement of the US is based on a California incident.... thats like saying all beer tastes like crap when you've only had a can of Schlitz.

Sounds like he encountered typical cops. "It's too dangerous to go near a house a block away. We're only policemen, and only have guns. We have to lock you up for several hours instead." I especially like that they kept him for several hours and STILL let him leave without verifying his identity. No wonder we offend tourists and enable terrorists/illegal aliens!

THen: "You can't have a pen. You aren't entitled to one. What, you read that it's your right defined on the poster six feet away. Well, how was I supposed to know that? It's only my job."

I deleted the extensive additions to this post that I hda written. I may eventually want to dive with a cop from this board. The cops I have known (several, a couple close family members) may not represent all cops.

Remember that this person is supposedly a writer, and on a slow day...

I'm sure at least half of the story is true...

"I was going for a coke... and came home with one."

all i can say about this is...

sorry to hear you had to go through that. most cops are good, and there are a lot out there that are bored to death and for one reason or another are out to get everybody every day. even on the most petty little offenses.

jay walking is illegal over here...

one time a cop nabbed me and a friend walking back to school from lunch. we had used the cross walk right in front of the school. no body was around, but the don't walk sign was on even though we had the green light in our direction. i guess the cop didn't get any body else during the lunch our, so he decided to get 2 high school kids coming back from lunch using the crosswalk while the don't walk sign was up. regardless of us having the green light.

my point is...no matter what precautions you take or what laws you think you may be, or may not be breaking....some cops will do anything to pump up their already belittled egos.

i had to explain to my teacher that the reason i was late to class was because i was getting a ticket for using the cross walk while it said don't walk...imagine the reaction i got...ya right buddy...but then i should'm the ticket and i didn't get detention for being late :D but damn if some of those cops don't have a hair up their ass for one reason or the other.

just be glad they didn't through you in a cube with bubba :eek:

I guess that I am skeptical as well. There is more to this story that meets the eye. He wasn't trying to be a cast member in the "Full Monty" was he? This might explain why he got arrested for jay walking. Also it might explain why he had no identification on him.

I dont think the fact he had no ID on him is that suprising
I frequantly dont have any, its not a requirement over here and when i'm in the states I dont carry my passport everywhere with me incase i lose it, worried more about the hassle it is if i do than actually losing it :)
being my passports my only ID (I dont drive hence dont have one of those) I hardly ever have any ID on me

Us Limeys don't need to carry ID with us, though this illustrious government of ours want to introduce them AND make us pay for them. I for one will not be buying one, whether it is the law or not. I'll be buggered if I am going to live in some mickey mouse KGB police state like Tony & his woofty Scottish pals want us to.

It isn't actually a requirement to carry ID when you are driving in the UK. I frequently do this when I go to the pub so I can pretend I am someone else when I puke up all over PC Plod's shiny Size 10.

But regardless of whether this story has been embellished for the newspaper or not, to arrest someone for crossing the road is patently ridiculous.

I have never had an encounter with a rozzer in the US but have frequently had to be subjected to the cream of the human race, a member of the US Government's Immigration Service, and they are all a bunch of surly miserable snotty w**kers. Given 'em a uniform and they think they're God. If there is one country that you really are not made to feel welcome on arrival into, it's the Good Old US of A. "I don't care if you are blond with an English accent, you look like an A-rab terrorist to me."

Anyway, I'll get off my soap box now. I've finished my Thursday morning rant! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom