Ohhh 'BABY'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubakitty

Reaction score
Hi it's scubakitty (this site is truly addicting).

I just started diving recently and go almost every weekend now(gotta love Greece). My husband and I are both interested in purchasing all the proper equipment. However, we are thinking about getting pregnant sometime next year and I've read that if you are trying to get pregnant you shouldn't dive. I know I have some time especially since we go diving so often and we are even heading for the Red Sea in Sept. but honestly, is it really worthwhile to purchase equip. if I could be pregnant at the beginning of next year? Will the styles and technology change much in the next 3-5 years or so? I hope to scuba dive after the pregnancy (especially if we're still in Greece) but it may not be realistic with a little one to tend to. Are there any mothers (or even non-mothers) out there that have any advice about this and or the evolution of scuba diving equip. in gerneral. Thanks a bunch!!

Scubakitty
Athens, Greece

I am the very proud daddy of a 22mo old princess. My wife started diving about a year before she got pregnant. We bought all of her gear except her wet suit. Before she got pregnant and it all still fits and works fine. The wet suit would have been a different story. Her body just reformed too much.
Scuba gear is changing improving and evolving slowly. Some peices of equipment faster than others. 3-5 years (IMHO) won't make a whole lot of difference in the overall picture.
Finding child care for the princess for us is a challenge since a dive is an all day, or the better part of one, affair. I'm not allowed to go dive without her. I have hinted at going without her and she hinted the answer was no.
There is a thread that discusses pregnancy and diving. You may have to do a search to find it

Good Luck and have fun

Tom

Welcome Scubakitty!
I am not a mom, but one of my buddies has five, yes five, little ones between the ages of 9 and 9 months old. The biggest challenge they have is finding a sitter. One thing you could do is find a third buddy or another couple with a teenager that you would trust to sit for you. For gear, like Tom said, you can count on everything except the suit to still work when you are ready to get back to it.

-kate

Thanks so much for all your support!! I was afraid the suit would be a problem, unfortunately I've already purchased one. OOps, hopefully my body won't change too much. If anyone else has any helpful tips please reply.

Many Thanks,
Scubakitty

hi scubakitty
I like to say is since you bought your reg dont forget your yearly services, if you bought it new you will need that for the waranty save your receits, most of the gear wont hurt to be put up for a while. It depends on the rental costs but if you dont plan on diving for A few years 3-5 (god for bid) you might just want to wait on buying it seems new and better stuff is allways coming out yep right after I buy something but any way good luck with your choice.
diverjohnz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom