Oil at 4 miles and closing - Destin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I went to pick up my regs from service today and got some updated information. Oil is as close as 4 miles and it has hit some of the reefs like White Hill. No news on what effect the oil is having. A guy in the shop said he has a friend in the fire department that reported tar balls on Okaloosa Island the size of dinner plates. The SeaCobra is under contract again with BP so no more trips. Emerald Coast is still making trips (as far as Carla knows). I drove over the bridge and looked at the nice blue water and thought I should make one last dive - alas, I was too busy. There are 4 or 5 sets of booms from both shores along the pass that don't extend very far and boat traffic is still flowing in and out of the pass.

Good news is that Steve is back - all tests negative, unfortunately that means he's back at square one in trying to figure out what's wrong. Mako was in the shop today. He is blind in one eye but the seizure meds are now working. He is just a much more mellow puppy at this point.

I expect that, by the time I get back from south FL next week, the mess will have hit the area beaches. This is going to be a scary time for many folks.

Thanks for the update :(

Thanks for the update, I hope the beaches can stay clear for a few more weeks over by 331. If not I will be doing a lot more spring diving than I had planned during the family vacation.

Spoke with Captain Harold tonight. He saw oil while coming back in the pass this afternoon. Destin East Pass is closed tomorrow until high tide is over, and the water starts running back out. Booms were deployed this evening along both sides of the Destin Pass. Glad I dove the jetties last week.

We had a home rented for nearly a month, we canceled and are going to GC instead.

The oil is going to make a mess for years. It will go down into the sand and no amount of "THE" King's men and King's horses and 20B dollars and big talk will remove it, not in nine years much less nine weeks.

Is the oil that hit White Hill on the surface or a suspended "plume"?

Very sad.

N

Nimrod, Public comments like this are more devastating to the Economy of our area then the oil itself! In the future those of us who live here would appreciate you keep your speculative comments, which by the way are false, to yourself!! :shakehead:

We had a home rented for nearly a month, we canceled and are going to GC instead.

The oil is going to make a mess for years. It will go down into the sand and no amount of "THE" King's men and King's horses and 20B dollars and big talk will remove it, not in nine years much less nine weeks.

Is the oil that hit White Hill on the surface or a suspended "plume"?

Very sad.

N

Thanks for the update! :(

What is false? The reports of two dying whale sharks, oil covered wildlife, the oil in the sand along Louisiana and Mississippi and the now spreading spill to the east and the plumes underwater that are drifting into the loop current? The fact is that we don't know what is false and what is not right now and if this makes you angry, join the club.

I am from the Gulf Coast, I have property about in said regions and relatives and worked as a petroleum geologist and some other expertise and given what mostly non factual information has been released to date by the parties involved I see no reason to sugar coat or mislead.

As to the economy, how much is a pelican worth, how much is a whale shark worth, sticking your head into oil soaked sand does not change anything. I am not running for most popular forum member BTW. The fact is that you probably know far less than I do about this disaster and the environmental repercussions.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom