Ok, any one use this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spool.jpg
please elaborate (pic?)

I only use spools for emergencies,and use reels for jumps. One problem we were finding was that spools would move around on the D-ring and they would become unclipped,so you would no longer have an emergency spool,or line would be trailing behind you. This has served me well because it keeps the spool tucked in well,and break the oring when I need to deploy it,which at that point is an emergency. If I am diving a drysuit with pockets then I put the spools there.

I only use spools for emergencies,and use reels for jumps. One problem we were finding was that spools would move around on the D-ring and they would become unclipped,so you would no longer have an emergency spool,or line would be trailing behind you. This has served me well because it keeps the spool tucked in well,and break the oring when I need to deploy it,which at that point is an emergency. If I am diving a drysuit with pockets then I put the spools there.

My intention is not to criticize your decisions, I'm sure it works well for you or you wouldn't be doing it. I am however curious about a couple of things.

When using a drysuit you put your spools in your pockets. This suggests to me that you would prefer to put spools in your pockets. Why not just get pockets for you wetsuit, either glue on or x-shorts?

Doing multiple jumps would involve carrying a few reels, don't you find them bulky to lug them around? I sometimes have 5 spools in pockets, and definitely wouldn't want to carry 5 reels.

My intention is not to criticize your decisions, I'm sure it works well for you or you wouldn't be doing it. I am however curious about a couple of things.

When using a drysuit you put your spools in your pockets. This suggests to me that you would prefer to put spools in your pockets. Why not just get pockets for you wetsuit, either glue on or x-shorts?

Doing multiple jumps would involve carrying a few reels, don't you find them bulky to lug them around? I sometimes have 5 spools in pockets, and definitely wouldn't want to carry 5 reels.

Personally I hate lots of crap in my pockets. Not only is it hard to reach when I sidemount,but in real sidemount restrictions those pockets can hang up. My preference is to place reels,and 1 spool for an emergency on my dodo ring, or a specially placed ring near my left sidemount tank. I hate spools that dangle down from the d-ring because the friction of other items and/or reciprocal motion while dangling down has caused the double ender to open and deploy the spool.

Last edited:
Personally I had lots of crap in my pockets. Not only is it hard to reach when I sidemount,but in real sidemount restrictions those pockets can hang up. My preference is to place reels,and 1 spool for an emergency on my dodo ring, or a specially placed ring near my left sidemount tank. I hate spools that dangle down from the d-ring because the friction of other items and/or reciprocal motion while dangling down has caused the double ender to open and deploy the spool.

Mount the emergency spoil to your arm. It's how sidemount was designed to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mount the emergency spoil to your arm. It's how sidemount was designed to work.

Interesting concept,but I like to keep my arms devoid of a lot of items since this is primary means of assisting myself through restrictions. Do you have a picture of how you mount this on yourself?

5701eba09ed2454f818ab33678fbed8c.jpg

This is a picture from before one of my early dives. Quick run through is search reel upper right arm, compass lower right arm, computer lower left arm, knife upper left arm.

Changed my ways since then and shall post detailed pictures of my current system later tonight. Much better.

It's funny you say you use your arms to pull you through in restrictions, because leaving stuff you need on your arms is the only way you can guarantee to reach your emergency stuff in a restriction. Some dives round here are 12 inch high at highest for over 200m. I wouldn't like to be out of reach of my search reel for that long.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom