Ok, any one use this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pete:

Just thinking out loud: Nice, but I'd skip "attaching" it to the spool. Both "ends" on the snap passed through a hole in the spool. Never then going to be "in the way" when the spool is spinning or maybe snagging..... I'd maybe attach the band to the line loop so as not to lose it. I use hair "ties" as line keepers that way on my spools.

If I'm sending a bag up, I'll take it off. If I'm gently laying out a jump, then what's the real prob? This way, I simply don't lose it. :D I like coming back with all of my gear.

So I got round to taking the pictures of my current set up a few minutes ago.

cff6368b40895108eb1c8660b192ce61.jpg

Lower left arm, compass.

d466516b94771d7a252df25f2b3916e8.jpg

Upper left arm, search reel. I've never noticed it get displaced to be honest but I do now see that is a vulnerability of this. Loss would be difficult as it would have to slide entirely off your arm, but I'll bear in mind displacement.

fba54f1594a1b8a056822589d1b0d8cb.jpg
89b4982140666f50f7e33acf74f767b4.jpg
571b2ef0afee94bdd1cd065ebf369ff6.jpg

Lower right arm, computer and knife with lanyard pre-attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see extra bungies in the photos, are they your snoopy loops, or is that other gear deployed from a ventral aspect that is hidden from the camera???

Last edited:
Nah snoopies are proper snoopies. The bungees are the knife attachment and lanyard if you're looking at the computer picture.

There's excess on each bungee for easy transfer between wetsuit and drysuit.

---------- Post added January 24th, 2015 at 06:02 PM ----------

But I do carry snoopies under those bungees, as well as cylinder, legs, helmet or whatever else is appropriate for the dive.

I just love how these threads take on a different life from time to time. From a unique spool design to gear config. I have to ask though. Someone already mentioned why a diver would be placing a marker in a low viz situation?

My thought is you should always be prepping for the exit "On the Way In" Now if marking a line in low viz is to help ensure you went the correct direction in the first place while providing a reference should you not have done so, then yes marking a line can be helpful in low viz.

Now the other comment that came up was pulling the line in a silt out, really? Why not just leave the reel in place and make the exit. Did I miss something?

PS: I would have to try this new spool design to give fair comment. Maybe not as universal for a SMB (it does warn against that use according to Pete) but it may have its advantages. I have no problem securing a spool without the use of a double ender, But hey new designs deserve a try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom