Ok fish experts... another chance to show off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, Puffer! Glad to know you're diving further south. Redspotted is the only Hawkfish family member in tropical Atlantic/Caribbean waters and it's a very pretty fish. They tend to sit on or slowly tour the tops of whatever is there unless they're frightened into a hidey hole, so you may see more. Lots of them in Cozumel...hint, hint...

I get south at least once or twice a year, but for some odd reason, is usually the time I am trying out some new camera gear, and/or one gets those lovely "guided" dives that are at 2 knots, 10 feet above the bottom.

And I know most of the fish if they live farther north... like this guy:

fairybasset_03.jpg

Did not know all the hamlets, but they are easy to look up:

hamlet_09.jpg

Hi Sue, I think he knows these and is just showing some great shots. The second is a Yellowtail Hamlet -- note the "grouper eye" -- behavior & shape different from the dam-selfishes.

That's a superb shot of a Fairy Basslet, by the way.
In the first place the little rascals never sit still, and when they do their color usually fools the camera into mis-focusing.
So I'm impressed!
:)
Rick

I just have the CD.. and it is not listed in the CD...odd.
You're gracious to just call it odd. I'd more likely say: bleepin' disappointing.
They're now up to rev 4.0 on the DVD, so hopefully they've fixed it by now.

Are you referring to the Reef Fish DVD "presented by Reefnet"? It's there with a green dot. By common name, it's listed as Hawkfish, Redspotted; by family, it's the only fish listed under the Hawkfishes.

Are you referring to the Reef Fish DVD "presented by Reefnet"? It's there with a green dot. By common name, it's listed as Hawkfish, Redspotted; by family, it's the only fish listed under the Hawkfishes.

As always, you are correct... but if you do a quick search, and type in redspotted Hawkfish, it comes back with not found. If you go to the search tab and type Hawkfish, then you get Hawkfish, redspotted....Was not smart enough to know the quick search did not actually do a search.

Thanks.

That's a superb shot of a Fairy Basslet, by the way.
In the first place the little rascals never sit still, and when they do their color usually fools the camera into mis-focusing.
So I'm impressed!
:)
Rick

Rick, thanks...new camera and I am somewhat proud of the fact that is not a cropped image...it's ability to focus is about 3x better tham other camera's I have.

Last edited:
Hi Sue, I think he knows these and is just showing some great shots. The second is a Yellowtail Hamlet -- note the "grouper eye" -- behavior & shape different from the dam-selfishes.

Got tired of taking Hamlet images.. there must be every species around those islands...

This is off the topic, but the camera can flash sync up to 1/4000 of a second.

One can get images that look like the fish is frozen if you use it:

parrotfish_04.jpg

but nice for fish ID purposes.

Back
Top Bottom