OK... I know I have posted before about Rescue Diver...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A friend of mine did his rescue training in the Playa area. They worked him hard and he got a lot out of it.

Hope you speak Spanish. They had a scenario where they decided that none of the people there spoke English anymore.

I run a 3 day rescue + cpr&firstaid + o2 provider course in sarasota. You really don't do any diving in rescue class other than finding and surfacing an unresponsive diver. Come on down here this summer while the water is warm and the tourists are gone. There's plenty to do in Sarasasota/Bradenton for non divers over a weekend.

Finding and surfacing an unresponsive body is OW level training.

Around here we do our Rescue with two pool nights and two full days at the lake.. There are plenty of dives with scenarios. OOA divers, bad divers, crazy divers, trying-to-kill-you divers, missing divers, trapped divers, injured divers, etc.

Finding and surfacing an unresponsive body is OW level training.

Around here we do our Rescue with two pool nights and two full days at the lake.. There are plenty of dives with scenarios. OOA divers, bad divers, crazy divers, trying-to-kill-you divers, missing divers, trapped divers, injured divers, etc.
Im sorry you didn't pick up on the contextual clues to hyperbole when I said that. What I meant is a majority of rescue isn't underwater. But I assure you that you can put your diving dick away as I won't get into a measuring contest with you.

Im sorry you didn't pick up on the contextual clues to hyperbole when I said that. What I meant is a majority of rescue isn't underwater. But I assure you that you can put your diving dick away as I won't get into a measuring contest with you.

All of our scenarios are done in water, while diving. Even after you get the victim back to shore, it then continues with scene management.

Do you really want to spend 3 days of your precious--well it is for most of us--vacation time in Grand Cayman, St. Lucia, Cozumel or other such beautiful place doing a course? Spend your vacation diving to see stuff, and do the course as a 3-day weekend down in the Gulf (which, if your wife wants to tag along, has some pretty nice beaches, as you likely know). You can do the EFR part of the course beforehand. Local shops probably do Rescue in the quarries, too, but I draw the line for myself at quarry training when we have good ocean diving just a few hours drive away.

Do the course before you go. I see no one has mentioned Grenada yet.. some amazing wrecks there to dive, I lived there for 3 years. Also an amazing beach for your wife to enjoy while you dive (Grand Anse). Aquanauts Grenada is an excellent dive op.

why not do it locally since ther eisn't much actual diving in the rescue diver course and then when you go to the warm salty stuff you can actually dive?

I would expect to do most of the non-diving online. I already have the CPR and First Aid done. I like diving in warm water, so I would prefer to travel. I think it would be fun to get the water stuff done in a couple of days and then enjoy the diving as a certified Rescue Diver.

@Snoweman my point was that most of the stuff should be on the surface and the only stuff you should have underwater is recovering divers from the bottom. It's not like most other courses where you are actually learning stuff about diving.
In the rescue course the only UW portions are how to bring a diver to the surface safely. After that it is about O2 admin, CPR, First Aid, scene management etc. When we teach rescue it is a 3 day course that is combined with a bunch of other stuff but during the day. Rescue tows, surface rescue breaths, scene management, oxy admin, etc etc. There isn't actually much if any "diving" so if you are going to take a course in nice clear warm water, you may as well do it with a course that you'll appreciate being in that environment for.

At least with how we do it, I'd much rather be in cool/cold water without beating down sun for that since it's all at the surface

A common and nearby training spot for ATL-area divers is the quarry in White, GA. That's my personal practice pond, and I see Rescue Diver classes quite frequently.

Rescue was probably one of the most useful and rewarding courses I've ever done. A very large part of what made it so beneficial for me was the instructor, who I had been training with for some time. He really put me through the paces and was very thorough..

For Rescue and Technical courses, it has been my choice of instructor that has played a major part in deciding where I do the course. I'm sure you can find great instructors in all the destinations mentioned, but I would do some research on the instructor you plan to go wth so you can get the most out of the course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom