OK Prowler 13 Angler vs OK Prowler Trident 13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lukeb

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This thread will probably seem like I am looking way too much into the details of these Kayaks but here goes..............

I am getting ready to purchase my first Dive kayak (yay!:D). After reading all of the kayak threads I have decided to go for the Ocean Kayak Prowler 13.

West Marine is selling the Prowler 13 Angler model for $699 (seemed a good deal and a lot cheaper than anywhere else?):

OCEAN KAYAK Prowler 13 Fishing Kayak at West Marine

Does anyone have the basic angler model and is it really any different from the regular version? All I can see is that it is 1.5 inches narrower, 2 inches shorter and 2lbs lighter (going from the specs on OK's website).

I'm just really looking for someone who has this yak to tell me it's great for diving, go ahead and buy it!

Thanks in advance

Luke

It's a great yak for diving. Go ahead and buy it! There.. said from a prowler 11' owner!
Angler version has rod holders and that center console with the hatch. very nice.

ps.. looks like a decent price.

Thanks for the confirmation.

From reading her posts I think DebbyDiver also has the same model kayak that I am looking at and she seems really happy with it.

My only problem now is that my wife has said that before I can get one for myself I need to find a similar dive suitable kayak for her.................in pink!!

........any ideas?

P.S Already looked at the OK Venus 11 and apparently it is too small for diving from.

I was on a Wilderness Tarpon 120 sit-on-top last weekend in flat water and
it seemed more than enough for good conditions. I wanted to try a larger kayak and
a sit-inside so I rented a Wilderness Pungo 140 today and really noticed some differences
in the two different styles. I was able to easily lift the Pungo from the side to carry to the
waters edge. The sit-insides seem to be easier to get a grip on for moving with one person.
The Prowler gets very good reviews from just about everyone so really hard
to go wrong if this is the style you want. I actually felt like I was IN the boat with the
sit-inside but will have to say I was wondering about if it ever turned over the extra
difficulty with water inside the kayak. With the Wilderness Pungo 140 I was easily
getting 2.5 to 2.75 (mph I believe on the gps) and returning into slight headwind and
outgoing tide still easily managed 2.0 to 2.25. I think for diving the sit-on-tops seem
to be better for storage of gear and probably easier to recover if you do overturn.
The sit-inside seemed to cruise a bit easier and closer to the water.

Last edited:
I am very happy with my OK Prowler 13 Angler. A friend in Kayuba has one and he said he had two other dive kayaks before his Prowler and wished he'd just started with the Prowler. Some people think the Prowler 13 is overkill and they are happy in a smaller or a shallower yak, but I like mine just fine for diving or short flat water trips.

One day I'd love a sit-in touring yak for kayak camping but I've been told to go no shorter than 15 feet.

Everything I have heard and read does not recommend a cockpit style kayak for diving.

I simply cannot imagine diving from a sit-in kayak. Snorkeling...a big maybe. It's SOT or nothing.

Definitely the SOT for diving. Seems most have recessed storage area with the
bungy cords that seem just the right size for tanks and gear. I may start with
a back bay and river sit-inside recreational kayak and maybe later on look at
some SOT kayaks for diving. Happy Paddling !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom