OK Prowler 13 Angler vs OK Prowler Trident 13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Prowler 15 (bought "like new - used twice" with rudder for $600), a Tarpon 160i, and a Trident 15, new for $800 from a dealer in Nokomis, FL. I would probably buy a ScupperPro if I was going to buy a forth boat, or a Trident 13. When I am paddling and not diving, I always use the Tarpon. When I am diving I use the Trident (has a 500+lb carrying capacity, more than any other yak), when I need rudder I use the Prowler.

Do Trident's come with or without a rudder? When is a rudder desired? Thanks!

All SOT's can be equipped with a rudder. They are extra. Dealer can add it when you buy, or later. There are several "after market" vendors that make rudders, and a couple are far superior to any supplied by the mfg. Rudders are needed in wind and waves. Wind or waves pushing the boat from any direction other than directly fore or aft act to turn the boat, causing you to have to paddle a whole lot more on one side than the other to keep the boat tracking straight. A rudder allows you to keep alternating sides, while using your feet to adjust the angle of the rudder. You give up some of your paddling energy by using the rudder, but it is a must have if you paddle in these conditions. I try not to paddle in those conditions, being the certified, card-carryng wimp that I am, but conditions can change while afloat, so it is nice to have the rudder (kept in the "up" position till needed). I am planning on putting the after market rudders on my other two boats, but haven't got around to it yet. The best way to get a rudder is to buy a used boat with one already on it. There are lots of "snowbirds" who buy kayaks and then sell them cheap before they go back north after Easter, and lots of retirees who realize paddling is too much work, and sell the yak cheap to get it out of their garage. Rudders don't add much additional value to a used boat, in spite of their cost, just like the cost of options on a new car vs. the same car used several years later. Good luck, stay safe, have fun. Will in Sarasota

Where would you guys go in SE Florida to try out out different Kayak models before buying one?

I know Dive Odyssea in Ft Pierce rents them out but I don't know what they have to offer in the way of Diving Kayaks.

Yes, I have tried it. It is faster than probably any sit on top. The boat was not for me for several reasons: like Luke here I did a ton of research; the largest Hobie dealer in Fl is in Sarasota and they sell every other make too (Economy Tackle), so they have try out days once a month at a local lake, for free. The pedal drive is one more thing to break, other owners I talked to had had some problems with manufacturing and were not happy; I am long legged and I could not get my legs in a comfortable position; then I did not like the drive gear in the center taking up all that room, where I like to keep gear; finally, after diving and using my legs in current or a long swim, I have heard that the pedal drive is a bitch when your legs are worn out from swimming, and felt for a "whole body" work out, using my arms and back above water and legs below water would be better physical conditioning. Ocean Kayak now makes a yak that looks like a Trident, but it has a built in prop and electric motor, and a well for a 12v car battery. I am looking at this for places where the paddle is just too dang long, but you are not far from shore, such as the Keys - there are patch reefs close in down in the Lower Keys, but the put in place is 4 miles away, and for scalloping in Steinhatchee - again, a paddle of several miles to get to any of the scallop beds. The distance is not an issue for me, but my youngest son would not be able to do that in a boat of his own, and I figure one boat like this could tow one or two more yaks behind it for a few miles with no problems from the battery. Not sure if I want to pop 3K for it though, but still, way, way cheaper than any boat.

Not sure if I want to pop 3K for it though, but still, way, way cheaper than any boat.
$3K? Yikes that is double what I paid for my boat, outboard, trailer. Plus my Zodiac hauls 4 divers with doubles.

The battery powered kayaks look nice for someone who can't paddle or pedal very far. I do not personally have a problem with leg strength, but then again I live in the birth place of the mountain bike, and stay somewhat fit.

Just going back to my hunt for a pink kayak.....

...has anyone ever seen / paddled the Ocean Kayak Caper Lady Angler?

Caper™ Lady Angler - Wide Seat Well Kayak - Ocean Kayak

It's still only about 11' long but it does have a large front hatch and a larger tank well than the Venus 11. Also it has 75#-100# more weight capacity than the Venus does. I'm thinking that maybe in 'ideal' conditions my wife could dive from it....?

Incidently she is probably only going to dive from it a few times a year at most.

My only thoughts on the Caper is the tank well. I would definitely look at one in the store and verify the tank well is big enough. The other thing, is that it doesn't hold much weight. The caper Vs. the Trident 11, the trident can carry a lot more. about 75lbs more. So, you may need to take into consideration her weight, the weight of all the dive gear, paddles, and all the extras. Those wide, fat, short kayaks can be tough to paddle through the water if they are weighed down.

Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to find a kayak store which stocks that model so I can see it and take some measurements.

The West Marine local to me has the Venus 11 along with a few other OK model yaks but not the Caper. I looked at the Venus just to be sure and it definitely
isn't big enough for dive gear. The tank well is too small for a cylinder and it doesn't have a hatch at the front.

......my quest continues!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom