• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Ok to let DAN membership lapse while not diving?

Discussion in 'Dive Insurance' started by GirlonFire, Jul 31, 2020.

1. dogbone

dogbone Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Nevermind, I just called them and found out it's annually... God that's cheap though...I had assumed it would be monthly, or at least quarterly...

rhwestfall likes this.
  2. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Thank you for the reminder. I just went in and renewed my membership.

3. divinh

divinh ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I renewed the membership only part, since I don't expect to be able to dive anytime soon. I was told the insurance part can be added at any time.

Isn't it better to donate some money to DAN, rather than renewing insurance, since some of the money probably goes to an insurance underwriter? (For the time being, if you want to support DAN and not need the insurance.)

4. soonerwink

soonerwink Manta Ray

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I have always paid mine yearly. I have never noticed a monthly plan.

5. soonerwink

soonerwink Manta Ray

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Yes, it is by far the cheapest insurance you can buy. If you ever need it though it will save you thousands.

6. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Solo Diver

I consider it supporting an industry that is struggling right now. I can afford it, went ahead and renewed. My odds of having a claim when not diving are nearly none. But it still supports the organization for when I do dive again, better chance they will still be around.

My local motorcycle club that I ride with has had one ride the first of the year. Everything else is canceled until about October now. I still renewed. I want to keep the club going so when we can there will still be a club to ride with in the future.

With that said, if I was struggling with lost income. Screw them, I would need the money for myself.

markmud likes this.
  7. divinh

divinh ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Would DAN be better off if instead of renewing with insurance, you take the insurance part and donate that directly to DAN? That way, DAN isn't spitting the money with an insurance underwriter?

8. Altamira

Altamira ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    It may depend on whether your bank account is stronger than your memory. The older I get, I sometimes think "How did I forget to do (-------)? I would hate to find myself on the wrong side of a diving accident, and then realize "Oh ****, I forgot to renew my DAN dive insurance. Having DAN auto-renew, if a pop-up dive opportunity arises, I just have to grab my gear and hopefully not have to even think about DAN during the dive adventure.

Esprise Me likes this.
  9. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Solo Diver

The few people that would look for this would cost more in admirative costs then the savings would cover, not to mention adding to the confusion later when you are current with DAN but selected the non-insurance version. Too much room for too much stuff to be screwed up without are real gains.

10. living4experiences

living4experiences ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    The membership by itself it only $35, which I've kept. For the membership fee, at least you get the magazine. Since I'm not diving for quite awhile, I cancelled my dive insurance with DAN and they gave me a prorated refund, and I can add it back on at any time in the future. I chose to not let the insurance company benefit from my premium dollars and, instead, I've donated it to The Turtle Hospital in Marathon, Florida.

divinh likes this.