Okinawa - any tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhone Man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Planning to visit Okinawa over the Easter break and get some diving in - hopefully including the USS Emmons.

The consensus advice on SB seems to be to use Reef Encounters, and they look solid. Any other advice on places to stay or things to do / not do?

Since no one else answered and I just got back from chasing sharks in Yonaguni. Let us know in advance your exact days - we have a busy schedule this spring with a few documentary projects going on off the main island. You will want to stay up close to Chatan (not in Naha) to be close to the diving. You will want to hit the Keramas and at least a night dive or two. Did you want to do the Emmons as a tech or recreational dive? There are a few inexpensive hotels close by the shop- Cats Inn and Sunset American have breakfast available and Oceanfront is also nice and inexpensive. There are also a few resorts close by if you want to go a bit more upscale.

Thanks. I'll be in Okinawa over the Easter Weekend and staying on for a couple more days. I didn't get any tips, so I ended up booking (or trying to book, haven't had a confirm yet...) with Reef Encounters (Okinawa Diving, Japan - Reef Encounters - Japan's Tropical Dive Paradise with World Class Reefs! We are the only international full service dive shop.). They seem to be well regarded and said they could set me up with a hotel at discounted rates in Chatan. They also offer the USS Emmons as a tec dive, but say it is heavily weather dependent. So hopefully I'm all set. If I struggle to get traction with them, I may send you a PM and see if we can set something else up.

[...] If I struggle to get traction with them, I may send you a PM and see if we can set something else up.

Hm not sure if you noticed, but japan-diver is Reef Encounters :wink:

Can't give you any good advice on what else to do, because whenever I am there, I am diving. I think I'll check out the Churaumi Aquarium next time I am there, if I want a day off or if weather is too bad.

The aquarium is real cool and the you can see in the park there all lot to include the Dolphin that has a manmade tail. The park can be an all day event if you want it to. Last time I was there the park is free but you have to pay for the aquarium.

Don't dive Bolo or Horseshoe if it even looks rough! Certain places on the island change very fast.

I really enjoyed the whale shark did. Some do and some don't it just depends. I figured that it might be my only chance to dive with one.

Read up on the underwater animals to stay away from i.e. Blue ringed octopus Blue-ringed octopus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , cone shells Conus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't mess with the bombs or any other ordnance...and yes there is a lot around the Emmons as well as other dive sites.

Don't drink too much Awamori...Okinawa's version of Sake.

Skip the yakisoba and the get tonkatsu or one of the other soba dishes.

Police are 99.9999% right!

If you are driving and your light turns green...wait a few seconds.

You can go to AAA and get your international DL and rent a car rather cheap.

Buses have the right of way but taxies think they do.

There is chamber on the island.

Do not leave put your chop sticks in the bowl very rude.

Don't pass anyrthing by chop sticks to chop sticks. Worse than leaving your chop sticks in the rice.
Take it off your plate and place it on the other persons's plate then they can take it.

I have go to golf...I'll give more it something comes to mind.

Back
Top Bottom