Okinawa Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not military so I don't have access to any of the MWR facilities.

Any particular reason you are thinking 25%? What type of depths are you getting on an average dive of USS Emmons?

Random question, what size of tank is normal?
I just mentioned 25% because it was previously mentioned :wink: I do know that one of the shops has an "Emmons Mix" - but I am not sure what the % actually is. I have done four dives so far on regular air with average max depths of 37m (121 ft). I don't go much deeper than the surface of the deck, but it is quite possible to hit 140+ ft if you were inclined.

As far as tanks, 10 litre tanks (similar in size to 63 cu. ft) are quite popular because a lot of local operators limit dive times to 40 minutes. Of course, 12 litre tanks (80 cu. ft-ish) are easy to rent as well.

I just mentioned 25% because it was previously mentioned :wink: I do know that one of the shops has an "Emmons Mix" - but I am not sure what the % actually is. I have done four dives so far on regular air with average max depths of 37m (121 ft). I don't go much deeper than the surface of the deck, but it is quite possible to hit 140+ ft if you were inclined.

Based on that description I would probably run 28%, with the very low NDL at that depth making it almost a bounce you can even push to 140ft. Though unless there is something I have to see, I typically stay shallow as possible to increase my dive time.

As far as tanks, 10 litre tanks (similar in size to 63 cu. ft) are quite popular because a lot of local operators limit dive times to 40 minutes. Of course, 12 litre tanks (80 cu. ft-ish) are easy to rent as well.

Steel? If so I dived with someone this weekend that had a set of the Asahi steel 63s (from back when they were imported), little tiny tanks, weighed almost nothing empty.

I said 25%, because that is what I use when I dive them Emmons, but I usually hang out around 140-145', the sand is 153'. You can see some stuff from above the wreck, but a lot of the really cool and neat stuff is on the under side (it lays on its side), like the kamikaze Engine, AA gun, mine spool and the screws, amoung other unique things. of course, follow your training and stay within your limits of certification.

I said 25%, because that is what I use when I dive them Emmons, but I usually hang out around 140-145', the sand is 153'. You can see some stuff from above the wreck, but a lot of the really cool and neat stuff is on the under side (it lays on its side), like the kamikaze Engine, AA gun, mine spool and the screws, amoung other unique things. of course, follow your training and stay within your limits of certification.

The Emmons will probably be added to the list of sights I will want to revisit for a deco dive. The likely less than 30 minutes of bottom time I will be able to get on her will likely be nowhere near enough.

The Emmons will probably be added to the list of sights I will want to revisit for a deco dive. The likely less than 30 minutes of bottom time I will be able to get on her will likely be nowhere near enough.

I agree. I've done 2 35 minute dives and there is still so much I have yet to see on her.

Out of all the wrecks I have dove (I'm from the east coast NC/FL area) she is the most preserved wreck I have seen to date.

Attachments

• GOPR0159_1555125939741_high.JPG
    GOPR0159_1555125939741_high.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 154
  • GOPR0156_1555125939741_high.JPG
    GOPR0156_1555125939741_high.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 159
  • GOPR0168_1555125939741_high.JPG
    GOPR0168_1555125939741_high.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 164
I agree. I've done 2 35 minute dives and there is still so much I have yet to see on her.

Out of all the wrecks I have dove (I'm from the east coast NC/FL area) she is the most preserved wreck I have seen to date.
Some nice photos :) I will be going out again later this month and hope to get some nice photos at the bow (most of mine are from the stern to the plaque)

Trying to decide what to bring, since my domestic flights on ANA are cheaper the less baggage I bring over 20kg.

Primary light? Not really planning any night dives, am I good with just a single back up light?
Wetsuit? Typically if the bottom temps are above 80F I got with a shortie, but would I need a full suit with a thin hood for protection?
Tech fins or just my lighter ocean fins?
Large DSMB, or would just a smaller one do?
I don't think I have much need to reels or spools beyond the one attached to my DSMB either.

Oh tentative dive plan
July 4-6ths go out with Destiny Charters (thinking Kermas and Maeda Point), though I am trying to get a day to go out to the Emmons with North of Nago.
July 9-11 go out with Prime Scuba Ishigaki.

Trying to decide what to bring, since my domestic flights on ANA are cheaper the less baggage I bring over 20kg.

Primary light? Not really planning any night dives, am I good with just a single back up light?
Wetsuit? Typically if the bottom temps are above 80F I got with a shortie, but would I need a full suit with a thin hood for protection?
Tech fins or just my lighter ocean fins?
Large DSMB, or would just a smaller one do?
I don't think I have much need to reels or spools beyond the one attached to my DSMB either.
To answer your questions - the single backup light should be adequate. Water temps will certainly be over 80 when you arrive (it is almost now). Pretty soon I will be switching over to a shortie. FWIW, I don't wear a hood at all here even during winter. Depending on the weight difference, I personally would go with tech fins. Finally, a small SMB will suffice.

Water temps will certainly be over 80 when you arrive (it is almost now). Pretty soon I will be switching over to a shortie.

I can't wait, I've mostly been diving in cave country, so I haven't worn my shortie since I was in Mexico.

FWIW, I don't wear a hood at all here even during winter.

I can't stand hoods, but during long dives in colder water the warmth is worth it.

Depending on the weight difference, I personally would go with tech fins.

I'll have to weigh it out, this is the first time I've been total weight limited. And each segment is going to increase the cost. But it works out, as I will have spare weight for souvenirs (of the edible kind) on the way back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom