• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Okinawa Shore dive, Need Help Pls...

Discussion in 'Japan' started by KuloMan, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Jordan23

Jordan23 Contributor

# of Dives: 200 - 499

is there also macro? how is it compare to the philipines or papua new guinea or palau? or is it diffrent

2. cephalopod2

cephalopod2 Contributor

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    There is definitely macro. But I believe most of the species you can see in Okinawa itself (vs the out islands) overlap with the species of Indonesia and the Philippines (I have not been to PNG yet).

For really special macro in Japan, including endemics, I can recommend Izu peninsula. We also saw some special macro in Hachijo jima thanks to our terrific dive op.

Comparing Okinawa to the Philippines is difficult as I've nearly always had a local dive guide in the Philippines and we were diving independently (no local guide) for all but 1 day in Okinawa. Tengan Pier had by far the best macro of all the Okinawa sites we were able to see; the other sites had far less. Overall, Okinawa in July did not have the diversity and volume of macro of e.g. Anilao in prime season, but few places in the world do.

3. drk5036

drk5036 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Which dive op did you use in Hachijojima?

4. toris1968

toris1968 Contributor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Reef Encounters is a great shop and owned by an American named Doug

5. cephalopod2

cephalopod2 Contributor

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Concolor was the dive op - amazing above and below the water. Kotaro not only made our Hachijo jima trip, he also connected us with a fantastic Izu peninsula guide. Tremendous guy and superb diver and photographer.

He invites his guests to share photos from their dives on the op's Facebook account if you want to see more.

drk5036 likes this.
  6. Valyngar

Valyngar Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Is there any rebreather diving and wrecks?

7. Alfawolfje

Alfawolfje Dive Shop

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    The USS Emmons is the one big shipwreck there. Look up Dauntless divers for tech/ccr diving. Matt is great for that !