okinawa yellow tang (Kiirohagi?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeble

Reaction score
Im looking for information on sites around Okinawa and the outer islands where divers have seen yellow tang (aka Zebrasoma flavescens, aka Kirrohagi?). Ive attached a photo for reference.

We are conducting a range wide genetic survey to learn: 1) more about larval dispersal (helps with establishing effective managment strategies) and 2) where Hawaiian populations originated.

We are planning a trip in May and could really use some dive site suggestions. Previously, we heard that yellow tang were located occasionally in the Kerama Islands. Ideally, we would love to hear about sites where more than just a couple have been seen.

Thanks for your time
jeff

PS- we would really appreciate your recommendations on dive shops/charter boats that might be willing to work with us, especially any companies located in the Kerama Islands.

Attachments

• yt-small.jpg
    yt-small.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 35
Are you getting any help on your project from our Okinawan friends? I would love to help but do not have local information.

We've been in contact several times over the last few months. I've seen them on a number of dive sites but not on some of the most popular ones though...

It must be nice with colorful fishes Eric :eyebrow:

We do have many kinds here as well! This winter was weird in Izu. Actually there was no winter. More like autumn, and then suddenly spring. The clownfishes survived this time. Normally they go away in January. Soon we can compete with Okinawa reefs here in Tokyo!

Thomas

TJO:
It must be nice with colorful fishes Eric :eyebrow:

It is!!:D

TJO:
We do have many kinds here as well! This winter was weird in Izu. Actually there was no winter. More like autumn, and then suddenly spring. The clownfishes survived this time. Normally they go away in January. Soon we can compete with Okinawa reefs here in Tokyo!

Thomas

I would love to dive there someday soon to see the difference in life between Okinawa and there. BUT, I am a chicken and don't want to dive in cold water yet... Once I get my dry suit, perhaps, but for now I want water over 22 degrees! :)

Eric

I really do appreciate ya'll looking for yellow tang for me. Ill get in touch via regular email once we know more about our trip out to your area.

jeff

Jeff, I just asked some friends at Zamami Island. Will come back here in a few days.

jeble:
Eric

I really do appreciate ya'll looking for yellow tang for me. Ill get in touch via regular email once we know more about our trip out to your area.

jeff

My pleasure Jeff. I really hope that we can get some dives in together when you get here if our schedules allow.

TJO:
Jeff, I just asked some friends at Zamami Island. Will come back here in a few days.

You are awesome. Im definitely interested in hearing what your friend says.

Thanks for your help
jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom