Okinawa-zen-dove my face off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grandizer52

Contributor
Reaction score
What's up divers...so me and the wife dove every day cept 1 (had maigrane) met awsome people...ate way to much awsome food...and blue seal...the vis was awsome, way more fish than our home turf of hawaii, the shore dives made it super awsome and convienient!!!!!see you all again in sept. i'll post out photo's on face book...some here
laytahs
steve

That's wonderful! Might be an add-on option to Okinawa after Chuuk Lagoon in October --I'm a WWII buff so I'd also like to tour the last great battlefield of the 20th century as well. . .

What dive-ops did you use and where did you lodge at?

If your into history your going to need atleast 2 weeks on OKI, we went last year and just missed a typhoon...so sea conditions were fit for surfing. so being a hindiana jonesy type, the wife and I went tear-assing to the WWII sites..and in a week, put a mere pencil scratch on the history portion...this trip cause all we did was dive, and stayed only a week so I screwed myself on more WWII stuff...we used Torri station for our stuff this time. we tried to use another shop, but they were very unorganized this trip, they canceled a boat dive the AM we showed, and we got a refund...the shore dove. I recommend reef-trekers cause they do both English and Japanese, got their own boat to go to other locations, and can do deep and tech stuff, the owner has alot of energy, if you bring him coffee, take like 2 steps back...we stayed on base (kadena sho-gun) usually we bounce around alot cause we have friends out there, but I just got back from deployment, and the military friends were deployed, and okinawaiian friends were really busy. I had a short notice on going...if you stay in chatan town you can get to the shops easy. if you have a car, check with Nago boat charters as well, we went to one other island to go free diving called. minna, there's like 100 residence, and the reef was awsome...now if you go, your only suppose to go to this beach that's 3 feet deep, the side we went on...there was no way any non-adventurous types were going....and was 30 foot....till the edge of the drop off...was going to come back and dive but we hit a deep shore dive called toilet bowl, saw a few black tips racing around at 150 feet...
for land stuff, you have to check out the other islands...there's alot of stuff left from WWII. wanted to see erny pyles memorial, cause i read like 6 okinawa battle books on deployment...obsessed...a bit...cause there was intense fighting, both my grandfathers were there, one stayed for 3 years after...and he dove alot cause he was UDT. then he went back in 62 after he retired from the navy...and dove for like a month cause he was helping clean up old bombs and stuff....since we shore dove the crap out of the west shore... due it was easy and convenient...plus my biggest limitation in diving is getting hungry, and the need for ice cream after any dive...so blue seal is everywhere!!!!!!
We were in Chuuk in 04-05 following deployment, we did s many dives as you could in 5 days. Have you been there? i want to go back...cause that was a life time experience...I'm a submariner and seeing a japanese sub, and sub repair ship was awsome...if you have questions
e-mail me at grandizer52@yahoo.com
plan on going back in sept but going to bring more equipment this time wink wink
laytahs
steve

Live on Okinawa for 4 years back in the early 80s, wracked up alot of dive time while there. Much of the best diving in my memory had taken place on Okinawa and I would like to return someday. Dove Truk quite a few times as well, love the South Pacific.

glad you got some good diving in...i'll be in guam sep-oct so i'll probably miss you again. next time, bro...

chile, when you find your way out to hawaii...look me up...I have "EVERYTHING" we need, you don't need a shop....thanx for your help though, I still owe you lunch

---------- Post Merged at 05:21 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:17 AM ----------

Live on Okinawa for 4 years back in the early 80s, wracked up alot of dive time while there. Much of the best diving in my memory had taken place on Okinawa and I would like to return someday. Dove Truk quite a few times as well, love the South Pacific.

hea bro, was out here when my dad was stationed here in the 80's the traffic has gotten bad, but the diving is still the best!!!!!would like to get back to truk as well....thanx to everyone that helped us while we were on the island on such short notice!!!!!

will do....been to HI a half dozen times and still haven't dove there...only snorkeled. i will definitely get in touch with you.

yea definitely get in touch...there's great diving out there. a good deal of wrecks!!!! and we can take my boat out to the fish cages...

---------- Post Merged on July 6th, 2012 at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous Post was on July 5th, 2012 at 02:17 PM ----------

i FLY BACK TO HAWAII ON sunday...my plan right now is to come back to okinawa towards the end of sept. i'll bring some more equipment cause I want to max bottom time. also want to hit the wrecks, and other islands. also plan to eat bucket loads of blue seal again...who's with me?

I'm glad you had some awesome diving in Okinawa. Next time you come, please consider diving in Kagoshima, right next door. It's pretty awesome, too!

I'm glad you had some awesome diving in Okinawa. Next time you come, please consider diving in Kagoshima, right next door. It's pretty awesome, too!

Right next door? Really? Next door? Wow, you should check a mapbook and see how far away you really are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom