Okoboji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jafo123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'll be doing the first dive of the 2006 seasion at Okoboji this morning around 11:30. We'll be on the east side of West Okoboji by The Inn. There is a water inlet pipe and a couple of good size rock piles that fish hang around that we'll be checking out. Hope it's a start to a great year of diving.

I used to spend a couple of weeks in the summer as a kid there. I remember the incredible water clarity. Have you dove the so called "Indian Bridge"? The story or legend is that the Indians wanted a quicker route across the lake rather than around it so in the winter they would pile rocks on the ice to try and build a bridge (by the summer thaw letting the rocks fall through and gradually building a bridge) I have no idea of the truth of the legend...just heard it couple of times.

Mike

While you're at Okoboji, stop by Blue Water Divers and introduce yourself to Dave and Pat Swanson. They're great instructors and have a wealth of information about diving the Okoboji area.

I'm eager to hear how your dive turned out.........conditions etc.

I am VERY new to diving. Did Discover SCUBA on Oahu 4/26 and will be doing OW cert in June at Scuba Too in Cedar Falls.

Have thought of trying to get to Arnolds Park in July to try the diving there.

The water was as clear as I've ever seen it there at Okoboji. Vis was 25ft or better. Temp. was 52 degrees. We had a bit of trouble getting things sorted out with new gear and stuff on the first dive. The second dive was just great though. Went out the pipeline down to 60ft where it ended. There were fish everywhere along the pipe. On our way back we vered off and checked out a big rock pile where even more fish were just hanging out. It was a good 1 hour dive for the first one of the season. Now to get the tanks filled and do it again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom