Old anchor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dovii

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone have an age or origin for this old anchor? It was in my yard when I moved in.

Attachments

• IMG_4268.JPG
    IMG_4268.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_4269.JPG
    IMG_4269.JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 167
It is a 'Yachtsman's kedge' commonly referred to as a 'Popeye anchor' after the comic book character, Popeye .

It was the anchor of choice for larger yachts prior to the development of the Danforth and other modern anchoring systems around WW11.

if you peruse the larger boats along Indian river you may see some still in use. However most have been retired and are used as decorator items in homes, restaurants and bars, so cleaned up it could have value,

I have four; several appear larger and one about the size of your anchor. So far after all these years I have not found a use for them, other than moving them place to place as a component of the yards décor

Some where in this board I made a post about salvaging a 7,000 pound yachtsman's kedge anchor off Catalina Island on June 4, 1960. It had been attached to a whaling ship that had sunk in late 1800s. The anchor was sold for $500.00, over a good months salary in 1960 and later donated to the maritime museum in San Pedro, where it will rest forever

I do not know what to suggest that you do with your anchor, but since they are rapidly scarce becoming antiques of days gone by, you just might want to hold on to it as a family heirloom

Hope this is information is helpful for you

Sam Miller, 111

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! Wish I had more info on where it came from. Would be cool to know an exact age.

Thank you for the response -- so many do not have the courtesy to say "Thank you." I certainly appreciate it

The age ? have you ever been in a hospital and the Doc says GOK ? That means God Only Knows

The same applies to your anchor ---- GOK

Possibly as old as 100 plus years but GOK

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom