Old Bauer and Mako questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reduxpb

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a compressor, and have come across two older compressors available at seemingly too good to be true prices. Neither has ran in a while. The mako is described as unknown condition. And the bauer is described as needs work, last ran two years ago.

So obviously I have come concerns but figured I'd ask away on here to hopefully be able to advise me to stay away from either of these units or pounce on them before someone else does.

I've found out the bauer is a 3.5cfm 3 phase model, the low cfm and power requirements aren't an issue for me. All of the gauges have bent or broken needles and are low on fluid in the gauge.
No other info was given except that it was running at a dive shop within the last two years. It's a 1991 build date.

The mako has no discernable model number on it anywhere and I'm not in person at the location to get the number off the block.

I'm contemplating picking up one, both, or none. These will be used for a paintball field so certified breathing air isnt a concern. However oil free, moisture free is.

I haven't seen much in the way of completely destroyed blocks, rods, pistons Or salvage or parts only compressors so it leads me to believe most things on these can be retrofitted or repaired and put back into business.

Obviously I'm concerned about part availability or sky rocketed cost of parts that have been sitting in a warehouse for decades. The whole law of diminishing returns with sinking more money into getting them going again than they are worth is the primary worry.

That being said, if you could get one which one would you pick up? Would you get them both if you had the cash to spare? Would you leave them to rot away and let someone else deal with the problems these could pose and continue to save for a working and operating compressor?
What else can you guys tell me about these things from the pictures.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181016-010802_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20181016-010802_Facebook.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 188
  • Screenshot_20181016-010806_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20181016-010806_Facebook.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 146
  • Screenshot_20181016-010815_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20181016-010815_Facebook.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 151
More pics

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181016-010824_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20181016-010824_Facebook.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 180
  • Screenshot_20181016-010838_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20181016-010838_Facebook.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 152
  • Screenshot_20181016-010841_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20181016-010841_Facebook.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 151
  • Screenshot_20181016-010855_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20181016-010855_Facebook.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 154
The Mako is a more robust unit. Parts will be very expensive compared to the Bauer, which have some after market parts available. The Bauer does not appear to be a continuous duty unit, and the Mako is. I believe that the Mako is a 5404 with a Reavell block built in the UK, and the Bauer looks like an Oceanus, which is rated for only 2 bank cylinders, and is not really continuous duty. Not that you couldn't run it hard, but you'll do way more maintenance with it.

I agree with Wookie, comparing those two compressors is like comparing apples and horseshoes. Between the 2 I'd go with the Mako, which I agree looks like a 5404. I'm not sure which Bauer that is, but agree it's not continuous duty. If you're just filling some 80s every once in a while then it's OK. Personally I would skip both and look for a comparable Bauer to that 5404. The Mako is a great unit, but the repair costs can be pricey.

Missed the paintball field comment until now. Skip that Bauer.

I called bauer and they pretty much said yep it's an older unit for which we dont make parts for anymore but could possibly find some stuff to make repairs depending on what was needed.

Screenshot_20181016-102808_Messenger.jpg

I guess I'll go take a look at the mako and grab that one up...are there any major things on those blocks or models to look out for? Or things, that if they are broken are worth passing up on it over?

Both these units are at a dive shop, unknown use, history, etc. I'm curious as to why the seller isnt revealing much information about either, especially since there had to be a reason to replace such expensive units.

My plans are to be filling 4-6 cascade bottles for paintball use.
average consumption would be between 100-200 CF a day as a guesstimate. Mostly a weekend thing so probably not much use as far as compressors are concerned but this thing is priced at a too good to be true price so that's what peaked my interest. Dont mind throwing 2k at it to get it up to snuff but dont want to buy a boat anchor or something that requires 6-8k to get back going either as I could buy a used running plug and play one with no headaches.

Let me know what to look out for on the inspection. Going to look at it this week and make a decision.

Thanks

The Mako would be a good choice for your use. No major issues that I know of other than a high repair/parts cost. Bauer may not have parts, but they can easily be found at places like Lawrence Factor. Either way I'd skip the Bauer, consider the Mako, or keep looking for a Bauer (esp something like a Mariner or a K14) and skip the Mako because your long term costs will be better with a Bauer.

Do you have an idea of what the shop wants for the Mako? That could be a major deciding factor.

Yea, the purchase price on the mako is what's enticing me to snatch it.
Put it this way, if I got both the mako and bauer I'd be into them for less than 1k.
That's the only reason I was considering picking em both up honestly. I dont need two compressors nor want to haul two back to the house but if the price is right, and it seems to be, then I was considering it.
I'm definitely interested more in the mako than the bauer and yall are helping confirm that.

Holy crap. I just spent $3000 on that exact Mako without the filter tower or moisture separator. Mine comes with a 7.5 HP 3 phase motor that I will (and want) to replace. Set up the way mine is it's an 8 CFM unit. I think I got a good deal, of course, I'm a Mako technician and can do all of my own work, and have access to parts at cost.

Mine only has 200 hours on it.

You're getting a steal.

Gee, Why so hard on the Bauer? Thats a Utilus which is the same block as the Capitano and Mariner. I believe in that age range its also rated for continuous duty too. That said I didn't see any filtration and the 3-phase motor would need to be changed out. But at the end of the day its a robust block and parts are readily available. I have two utilus compressors that are decades older (late 60's and '74) that run great and have been able to get the few parts they need easily from Bauer or Lawrence Factor. If it were in my backyard for cheap I would buy it.

Back
Top Bottom