old dacor regs and U.S divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alex6

Reaction score
Can somebody please tell me if the old dacor regs are good, and if old U.S divers regs are good. You know, ones from the 50s-60s. Iam 16, and i think they are awesome just the old look. And are they reliable or am i better off with a up to date reg.

thanks alot

i will be diving mostly in warm waters off the coast of Ga and Fl

alex6 once bubbled...
Can somebody please tell me if the old dacor regs are good, and if old U.S divers regs are good. You know, ones from the 50s-60s. Iam 16, and i think they are awesome just the old look. And are they reliable or am i better off with a up to date reg.

Alex6,

I cannot speak for old US Divers regs, but I am certain you'll find the old Dacor stuff almost impossible to get serviced.

Dacor stuff in the 60s was pretty good. I am given to believe US Divers was better. As I have not used any kit from that era I cannot comment.

Dacor was taken over by Mares after Sam Davison (DAvison CORporation) died in the mid 90s. A couple of years later Mares scrapped all the old Dacor regs and servicing kits and offered a trade-in deal on a range of new Dacor regs(which are actually Mares regs with a different logo these days).

Sure, you'll find some reg engineers who know which parts from other manufacturers are interchangeable on Dacor regs, but I think its just a matter of time .... so I chose the trade in deal.

My new Dacor kit is easier to breathe, easier to use, more ergonomic and less tiring. The trade off is that its made out of plastic. My old stuff was made out of chrome plated brass which was virtually indestructible - it gave me 20 years good service and I was sad to see it go.

Safe diving

alex6 once bubbled...

thanks alot

You mean the ones with a diaphragm so big that you had to take them out of your mouth to see where you were going?

I'd say "good" is relative. In their day they were good.

R..

Back
Top Bottom