Old masks - do we need to replace after a certain number of years?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J...

Every piece of gear we jump into the water with is consumable...and only though a thorough inspection by you can that determination be made...

Some resins in mask buckle plastics will get brittle when it ages...

Storage conditions...contact with UV...heat...cold...care...maintenance...proper cleaning...are all factors in determining servicable life...not only with masks but every other piece of gear as well...

Masks are inexpensive...what's an unplanned event at depth to you or a member of your family worth to you...

As far as upgrading...why upgrade now if you're not going to be using the replacement masks for five years...

If this is diving and not snorkeling...it sounds as though every piece of gear you have will need to be thoroughly gone over...inspected/serviced...

Dive Safe...

Warren

I've snorkelled with it, but sparingly. The sea hereabouts (North East England) can be choppy and over the years I've lost one or two other, expendable, classic ovals in the waves. The Super Star was a birthday gift from my parents, so it has sentimental value as well as offering full functionality and a perfect fit. The Blue Star was an eBay acquisition and from its condition and the presence of its original box I suspect it too has been lovingly conserved across several decades.:)

That Super Star is making me feel nostalgic. I might have to have another mosey about in my parents loft to see if I can find my old Typhoon, although that was from the late 70's. Last time I went up there all we found was an old accordian, which was strange as no one in the family ever played one o_O

Most of the masks I've owned lasted about 10 years then something happens to it, lost, crushed, or somehow damaged. I yet to have one long enough to wear it out.

In my personal experience I have masks that are decades old. The straps may break (only two or three times in all those years) but the masks have remained perfectly functional.

I have one mask, about ten years old, that seems to have gotten more "flex" so that it rubs the bridge of my nose. Either that or my nose has grown in that time!

Back
Top Bottom