old mouthpieces with neck-strap wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

duckbill

Contributor
Reaction score
I have several old single-hose second-stage regulators which need the mouthpieces replaced. They are black neoprene and have the neck-strap connectors, with snaps, molded into them. Does anyone know if there is a NOS source for these? Any standard mouthpiece will fit, but I'm trying to keep them as true to the originals as possible. If not with the molded straps, how about a source for regular NOS neoprene mouthpieces (or are these still readily available at some LDSs?)?
Thanks.

I would guess that you will find them at a LDS that has been in business over 30 yrs. I have 3 or 4 mp and straps tucked away for the day I have time to sort thru my 100 + regulators. They show up on EBAY once in a while. Thats where I got this lot.

The first thing I did when I purchased my Swimaster Polaris II (1970) was throw the strap away. No one used the strap. I guess we wern't DIR then.

I am putting new mouthpieces on my old Conshelfs. New, not NOS.

The reason the straps were removed in the old days was because we used Buddy Breathing. There was no such thing as an ocatapus or spare air or all that. The neck strap got in the way. Now that some divers such as DIR style breath off of the regulator they would donate they need the strap on the backup so it remains readily available. I did not throw my strap mouth pieces away because even as a child I knew that what is "in" goes "out" until it is back "in" and now with my old Calypso hanging on it's original strap mouthpiece around my neck while I breath off of my old Mistral I am "in" again and I got my bell bottom hip hugger jeans out of the chest too and they look exactly like those Lucky Brand at all the "in" stores that sell for over 100 dollars. Back to the future!

Keep an eye on ebay, I have seen a few go through there. You might also try Vintage Scuba Supply and ask this question on their community forum. Several guys there may have access to these from old shop stocks. If you need a link let me know and I will help you out. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom