Old Oceanic Datamax Pro Computer Repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leeblackman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Is it possible to find anywhere to have my older Oceanic Datamax Pro repaired? It had an old battery leak acid in it. I cleaned the contacts and the battery compartment, but when I put a new battery in it the LED has all the available characters show, then slowly fade away, nothing else seems to come up.

I don't know if it has corrosion internally or if maybe a dead capacitor or something on the board. I don't even know if it would be worth getting fixed or just cheaper to buy another one on ebay to replace it.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

After installing a new battery in mine it reads about 100PSI when disconnected. I like my computer and am not in the mood to blow a chunk of change on a new one.

Oops I said LED instead of LCD... Anyway thats kinda beside the point now I guess. I really just need the contact information for an oceanic repair and service center.

I have two Datamax Pro's, one dead and one working. I got them in a purchase of a used lot of scuba equipment off an individual. I absolutely love the working one. Its very easy to use and understant.

I ran across a prior board posting concerning the same computer that was archived from back in 2002, where it was sent in and rather than repair it Oceanic actually sent in return a newer model free of charge... I have no idea if they would still do so considering how old the model is but either way I'd kinda like to get it fixed.

Used they seem to cost about $150 on average on ebay. Considering I paid $500 for everything I have, that would be a large amount to spend. Maybe I should just take my loss, and see what kinda deal I can get on a decent guage console. Afterall its for my backup set/girlfriends regs.

I called oceanic and for $380 + your console they'll give you the data max pro plus II.
If you're diving Nitrox it's a great deal. I don't dive Nitrox so I think I'll hold onto mine for awhile.

Oceanic
toll-free: (800) 435-3483

No way, thats awesome. Thats like a $700 console. Thats a both air and nitrox compatible integrated console. So for $380 + my broken computer, I can get a working $700 computer. Thats not a bad deal. And if I have to I could always sell it and get my moneys back outta it. Dude, uber thanks for the info and the number.

Dear Leeblackman,

Sorry to hear your Dmx Pro is malfunctioning. When introduced the DMX Pro was cutting edge and revolutionary for its time, and had a long production life (1991-1999) for a computer. Unfortunately the DMX Pro has been out of production for many years, and roughly 3 years ago we finally exhausted the critical components required to perform a Full Service and Calibration on these units. When this service was available the cost was roughly $120.00. However, since we can no long offer a service, we would like to offer an upgrade utilizing the instant cash allowance program. This program offers an upgrade to any of our current computers of at 20% off MSRP, and is typically done through you local Authorized Oceanic dealer. They are authorized to do the upgrade out of the store inventory.

The special upgrade to the Pro Plus 2 mentioned by kungfu-enigma is reserved to the Original Pro Plus with green buttons.

Please feel free to contact us directly for additional assistance.

Dear Leeblackman,

Sorry to hear your Dmx Pro is malfunctioning. When introduced the DMX Pro was cutting edge and revolutionary for its time, and had a long production life (1991-1999) for a computer. Unfortunately the DMX Pro has been out of production for many years, and roughly 3 years ago we finally exhausted the critical components required to perform a Full Service and Calibration on these units. When this service was available the cost was roughly $120.00. However, since we can no long offer a service, we would like to offer an upgrade utilizing the instant cash allowance program. This program offers an upgrade to any of our current computers of at 20% off MSRP, and is typically done through you local Authorized Oceanic dealer. They are authorized to do the upgrade out of the store inventory.

The special upgrade to the Pro Plus 2 mentioned by kungfu-enigma is reserved to the Original Pro Plus with green buttons.

Please feel free to contact us directly for additional assistance.
Well I sent my data max pro in to Oceanic last week along with a CC payment of $380 and today received my data pro plus 2. Just so there is no confusion my old computer only has one button and is not nitrox compatible. I made damn sure the guy I talked to knew which model I was upgrading from. If you are in the same situation I recommend calling Oceanic, the guy I talked to was very knowledgeable. I have always heard Oceanic customer service is great and now I have my experience. Excellent.

Well I sent my data max pro in to Oceanic last week along with a CC payment of $380 and today received my data pro plus 2. Just so there is no confusion my old computer only has one button and is not nitrox compatible.

I'm not at all surprised to hear this. Oceanic really does seem to "get it" when it comes to keeping customers around. Four of my friends bought Oceanic computers because I raved about their fantastic support. Same goes for another manufacturer down in Florida... starts with a "Z"...

-Charles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom